Dr. Evil's Tomatoes

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited July 28, 2010 in Holy Macro
The deadly nightshade in the backyard is ripening nicely.

949534522_X2jjH-XL.jpg

Salad anyone?

Shot with the E-30 | OM 90mm f2 macro | ancient Bogen tripod | ISO 200 | 1/20th | f8

Comments

• BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    The diet coke of night shade... :-) Nice colors and the sharpness is fantastic! Wonder who lives in that little web???
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    LIke it - wonderful colours
    Brian V.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    thanks guys. the web is great, huh? I didn't notice it until I saw the photos.
  • sebthedog1sebthedog1 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Lovely shots and very informative - sent me into a bit of a flap. I've got one of these in my back garden and I was under the impression that it was a potato plant. I bought it from a garden centre and have been training it up a trellis for years now. It has reached the top of my fence where next door's children can reach it and the berries look just like little tomatoes- I'd better cut it down/dig it up tonight. Don't want to be responsible for poisoning anyone.
    edited July 28, 2010
    Sorry about that. I agree it shouldn't be with the edible plants, even though contrary to its name it won't actually kill you, just make you sick for a while. If you can relocate it, it's a happy little weed. Flowers look like this so you'll be sure of what you have. The nightshade family includes tomatoes which is why they look so like them.

4714423966_6050fbc8d9_b.jpg
  • sebthedog1sebthedog1 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Please don't apologise - forewarned is forearmed. It is now in the bin although it wasn't the deadly version - it is still poisonous - it was bittersweet woody nightshade. Why have I been training a weed up a trellis? Must be nuts rolleyes1.gif Really lovely pic though.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 28, 2010
    very good detail on the berries clap.gif

think there is a garden plant from same family that flowers well, but not poisonous
    edited July 28, 2010
    Thanks Phil. Nightshade comprises a large variety of plants, some edible (obviously tomatoes) and some not so much, but all are pollinator magnets and sort of pretty in their own rights. The one in this photo has almost no leaves left because they must be tasty. I see a mess of it in a neighborhood I do my 5 miles through and I wonder if people know what it is. The berries look yummy, but ouch.
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Oooh, interesting on the flowers. There is something like that growing in the marsh, I wondered what it was.

Macro photography to the rescue!