HDR Infrared

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited August 2, 2010 in Landscapes
I have been shooting standard color and HDR and wondered how such an image would fair in infrared (IR).

The IR images from this venture into the realm beyond 700nm, can be viewed at...

www.globaltrekk-photos.com/The-Worl-Around-Us/IR/13058277_6xKjG#948339061_VTDQc

IR is a very interesting off-shoot of the traditonal and provides for some creative outlets and expressions.

Comments

• ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Not working for me at all. HDR thrives on contrast and Infrared provides none.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    I love it....bring it on.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    I think some of the other images in your gallery are much better examples of what IR and HDR can do together! Like number 4, thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    How do you get the golden tones that are in some of your other HDR's in your gallery???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    HDR Tones
    Art:

The color tones can be achieved in two ways...basic/simple and not so simple.

Not so simple way (not technical but taking a fair amount of time)....

First, each photo in the bracket was evaluated for "ghosts" (an occurence in IR, not metaphysical ectoplasma but atmospheric water droplets and reflections, not seen in the "normal" light spectrum), noise and correct histogram readings, in camera raw. Slight modifications were made to attain the proper corrections, and to reduce noise.

I manipulated the hue/saturation option in PS, and altered individual channels (red, blue, green, yellow, magenta) to get a base image, which I could work with.

The gazebo shot (posted here) was then "hand painted" if you will (for lack of a better term), by individually selecting areas and then adding colors, burning and dodging (shadows, midtones, highlights) to achieve the desired effect.

The less technical, more basic method...

In image 18 for example (from the website gallery) I applied a graduated filter, and changed the filter colors, to achieve the final effect I was after.

IR untouched, makes for some very interesting black & white images as well.

The beauty of IR is that it allows for a fair amount of bending of the rules of photography and allows the photographer to play outside of the lines every once and a while. One can use the IR shot "as is" with minimal post-processing (altering blue/red channels is typically a standard SOP) or really stretch one's latent artistic side.

Alas, the question... is it photography or art, or both. Either way, it's fun, enjoyable, gets me outside and keeps me off the couch!

Thanks for your comments and I'll be posting more of my IR and non-IR HDR shots to the website in the next several days.

I appreciate your and everyone's feedback.