Roly Poly

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited July 29, 2010 in Holy Macro
...otherwise known as the Woodlouse.

Fed up of flies, I went ducking under the Cordyline to see what was about. upon further investigation at the trunk, I noticed this woodlouse sitting on the very edge of a piece of bark.

Have to say, I've been toying with a smaller aperture recently (mostly I shoot at F8) and have found that It's producing better shots. More in focus naturally. The only downside is that it's really showing up how much I have GOT to get my sensor cleaned. You try so much to keep it clean but there's only so much you can do. I'm going to have to invest in an Arctic Butterfly or similar I think. 20 minutes of spot cloning is now becoming very frustrating.

First shot is an environment shot.

1/200th @F13, ISO 100. Ext. Flash slightly powered up (if memory serves me correct)
949665702_PGXFA-O.jpg

Closer in and from a slightly different perspective. EXIF Same as above.

949665672_pf6Lj-O.jpg

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 27, 2010
    very nice:D

mid summer , cant you find anything else to shoot ? rolleyes1.gif

i use an arctic butterfly,
    they are very easy to use, do a very good job.
    expensive but well worth it:D

phil
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Hehe cheers Phil I wish I could mate but my garden seems to just attract your standard flies. Nothing untoward to attract them either. There are lots of hovers but even they are getting a little tiresome. I think maybe getting put beyond the garden is in order. Reckon there has to be something down by the estuary.

Year arctic butterfly is my likely choice. Which particular one do you have?
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Another option is Copper Hill. I do it in stages:

--use a rocket blower. this often takes care of most of it.

--if not, use a static brush. Quicker and less nerve-wracking than a wet cleaning

--last resort: a wet cleaning.

I switched to digital 3 years ago and have made it to the wet cleaning stage only once so far.

You can find the spots easily by shooting this at the smallest aperture, provided your computer screen is clean:

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/95174363/original
    edited July 27, 2010
    Thanks Paddler. The Rocket Blower hasn't shifted it. What static brush would you recommend?
    edited July 27, 2010
    Kinda hijacking in on my own thread but hey.. :)

I just did a test shot. Desaturated it and just adjusted contrast etc. to highlight the horror.. OH my GOD!! :(.

949808669_tCwF4-M.jpg
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 28, 2010
    that is what my 350 looked like before cleaning eek7.gif

my arctic butterfly is 724 , briteview with the light
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Nice shots of the Poly.....

I'd say the Copper Hill wet clean is in order here......I do not like screwing around with toys to clean.......did my first wet clean
    about 5 yrs ago and just strted doing it 2X / yr unless my small F's showed lots of spots..........nothing scary about the wet
    clean as long as you follow the instructions...copper hill method is simple easy and complete......your not cleaning the
    sensor ....but a filter over the sensor..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 28, 2010
    Thank you Phil, Art.

I was looking at the 724 Bright but I'll also check out the Copper hill as well. I'd known about the filter, but I guess we all get used to saying the sensor ;)

Thanks again.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Good ones - must admit I tend to reserve woodlice for winter shooting unless they are up in a flower eating pollen.

... and i thought my sensor was a bit dirty :jawdrop

Brian V.
    edited July 29, 2010
    Hehe thanks Brian. yeah as normal our garden was devoid of anything colourful to photograph other than bottle flies which seem to like the storage box (although there's nothing in there that could attract them)

That sensor is pretty rough ain't it.. :(