Vegas Trip

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited July 31, 2010 in Landscapes
I've never really tried night shots before. I took this from the stratosphere, and cropped it panoramic.

C&C are very welcome. I'm wondering if there is too much grain from the high ISO? Does the crop help or hurt the shot?

Thanks!

950226992_D3fqk-M.jpg
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    What a cool view!

I see where you are going with the comp, but I think that a more traditional framing of downtown Vegas might have been better here. The lights create a very busy backdrop, so cropping it with the strip on the left and the "quieter" lights on the right kind of seems weighty on one side.

Still, i'm glad you posted a link to the larger version because there's just so much detail to see. Awesome!
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Thanks so much for the comments! I can see what you mean about the comp being a bit weighted with the strip on the left.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Hi Helvegr,

Looks like we were there recently not too far apart. I also had to use very high iso when shooting up there. To reduce the noise in that was visible in the sky, I used selection points in Capture NX 2 to selectively reduce the noise in the sky while not losing detail in the lights on the ground. Do you shoot in raw and use Capture NX 2? It could make the sky look better so you wouldn't have to crop it completely out. I'm just assuming that might have been a factor. It's an interesting and different perspective to see very little sky in a landscape shot. It looks like you did a great job getting sharpness in the lights while hand holding and I like your wider composition. I only got about two usable shots from my set up there. Well done!