Options

what format do you use for wedding photography (raw or jpg) ?

akhakh Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited July 29, 2010 in Weddings
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    I think the great majority of the folks shoot RAW except Mathhew Seville who rocks jpg!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Both. My D300 allows me to shoot both at the same time. I almost only use the RAW files. The dual setting came in handy when my mother came into town yesterday for my sister's first wedding gown appointment. She wanted prints made to take home to show her husband that night. Since I had JPG, we could go to the store and print a couple without processing on my computer first.

Caroline
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Thinking about getting the big ol' mack daddy CF Card and shooting both.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    1.) There is almost no need to shoot "RAW+JPG" because you can always use the proprietary browser (Nikon View NX for example) to extract a JPG file from a RAW, so it's as if you've shot RAW+JPG but without the wasted space.

2.) It's not necessarily a good idea to just buy the biggest card you possibly can. Fitting an entire wedding onto one card, for example, is a bad idea unless you've got dual card slots set to redundancy, and have one high-capacity card that stays in the camera the whole time, and then lower capacity cards that get swapped out in 200-400 image intervals. Or, it just depends on how you shoot. I break down my card swaps into prep, ceremony, portraits, and reception. More or less...

3.) Now, with regard to the original question-

It really depends on what the light is like. If it's like shooting fish in a barrel, I don't bother with RAW, I just shoot JPG and proof the job SOOC. (straight out of camera.) ...Click this blog post for some examples of what is possible with a SOOC JPG:

http://matthewsaville.com/blog/2010/05/17/for-photographers-what-does-sooc-mean/

Of course when the light gets contrasty and harsh, or the white balance goes haywire, I do shoot RAW. Or of course I'll shoot RAW for the really high-end stuff, etc.

And honestly? Just master both. Know when to shoot RAW, but be able to NAIL the in-camera settings so that your JPG's look gorgeous.

The art of shooting and/or processing both file formats is a skill that every responsible professional should have.

Just my biased, geeky opinion!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum