Photoshop help needed asap!

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited August 26, 2005 in Finishing School
Hey friends,

I've got a problem (probably more than one, actually). I use photoshop CS2 migrating a few months ago from 7.0.

I use "Quick Mask" a fair amount. I'm familiar with it and use for maybe masking a face (after doing a background copY), switching to regular selection mode, inverse the selection, and applying some sort of adjustment, curves, contrast, etc.

I used this process last night and then now I cant do a mask. It just doesn't seem to work??? My "history pallete" shows going to the quick mask mode and then using a brush. But I see no mask and I can't get a selection. It seems to be a universal problem with any file. I've restarted CS2 and rebooted.

I spent a couple of hours last night, looking in the manual and other books. I can't figure out what I did. I'm pretty sure it's user error!

Has any else had a similar problem?:scratch

HELP, I've got a project I need to complete.

Thanks in advance
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Ok, let's see if we can figure this out!

First off...

Take a look at the toolbox. Is Edit in Standard Mode or Edit in Quick Mask Mode selected? In the image below, Edit in Quick Mask Mode is selected:
    33578048-L.jpg
    If you have Edit in Quick Mask Mode selected, bring up the Channels palette. do you see a Quick Mask channel in the palette?

If you do but you don't see the mask, double click on the Edit In Quick Mask Mode button in the toolbox. You'll get a dialog that lets you set the color and opacity of the mask. If the opacity is too low (< 10% or so), the mask will be tough to see.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    It might be kind of drastic, but you might try deleting the PS CS2 preferences file.

Hold down Ctrl + Shift + Alt (on Windows) or Command + Option + Shift (on a Mac) immediately after launching PS. You'll get a dialog asking if you want to delete the preferences file.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    It might be kind of drastic, but you might try deleting the PS CS2 preferences file.

Hold down Ctrl + Shift + Alt (on Windows) or Command + Option + Shift (on a Mac) immediately after launching PS. You'll get a dialog asking if you want to delete the preferences file.
    Thanks Cletus.

I was using the steps you identified in your first post - before your post and then I double checked my usual routine - still no working mask.

I deleted the preferences upon startup and now everything works like it used to.

Thanks again. thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen