computer won't read memory card; help!

sigsig Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 2, 2010 in Cameras
I have a Nikon 300 and am using a SanDisk Extreme III 4.0 gb memory card. I used it this afternoon and erased all images before taking a family photo session tonight. During the session I was checking the images/histograms. I turned the camera off, came home, turned it back on to check the images. They were there. I put the card in my card reader and my Mac says it can't read the card, either initialize the disk or eject it. I ejected it and put it in my camera. The camera says, format the card. I can't remember ever formatting a card. Can I retrieve these images somehow? If I format the card, I will lose all images, correct? Any suggestions? Thanks, Sig:scratch:bow

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    sig wrote: »
    I have a Nikon 300 and am using a SanDisk Extreme III 4.0 gb memory card. I used it this afternoon and erased all images before taking a family photo session tonight. During the session I was checking the images/histograms. I turned the camera off, came home, turned it back on to check the images. They were there. I put the card in my card reader and my Mac says it can't read the card, either initialize the disk or eject it. I ejected it and put it in my camera. The camera says, format the card. I can't remember ever formatting a card. Can I retrieve these images somehow? If I format the card, I will lose all images, correct? Any suggestions? Thanks, Sigheadscratch.gifbow

How did you erase the card....in computer or in camera ?? Did you delete or did you format again in computer or in camera??

If done in computer it is very realistic that you corrupted the card.....You should always format the cards in camera...never delete the files off the card as this can also cause card corruption.....it is possible to recover the images using a recovery software......I use Image Rescue from Lexar ....works really well on any brand of card....cost is around $30 from Lexar.....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sigsig Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2010
    Thanks for the response Art. I deleted the images in the camera. I didn't reformat the card as I never have done so before. Believe it or not, I have never formatted a card. The camera has never told me to do so and didn't realize its importance. I have just put the card into the Nikon D300 and shot photos, downloaded them, then reinserted card into camera, deleted the images and used the card for another set of images. The SanDisk card came with a recovery mini-CD. I haven't used it before but I don't think I dare put it into my Mac's slot for CD's. The small size might get stuck inside. Thanks for the Lexar software recommendation. Sig
  • shot_callashot_calla Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2010
    Have you tried connecting the camera to the computer with a USB cord to see if the card can be read that way?
    edited July 29, 2010
    Thanks for the response Art. I deleted the images in the camera. I didn't reformat the card as I never have done so before. Believe it or not, I have never formatted a card. The camera has never told me to do so and didn't realize its importance. I have just put the card into the Nikon D300 and shot photos, downloaded them, then reinserted card into camera, deleted the images and used the card for another set of images. The SanDisk card came with a recovery mini-CD. I haven't used it before but I don't think I dare put it into my Mac's slot for CD's. The small size might get stuck inside. Thanks for the Lexar software recommendation. Sig

The camera instructions will not tell you not to delete.......I found it by accident about 6yrs ago when I had a Lexar card that would not read......and the Lexar CSP pointed me to it on their site at the time......

So you have a CD player with no TRAY.....my dell laptop is the same way.......so I keep an external CD/DVD drive around just for this kind of situation.........Best buy surely has an inexpensive CD/DVD external drive that would work with your MAC.........Check the Lexar or Sandisk site for a trial downloadable version also........San Disk just might have a download available for those that cannnot use the mini CD disk......and yes it will get stuck in a laptop trayless disk player........Personally i hate those kinds of players...even in cars they suck...........

here is alink to Photo on the net about deleteing or formatting............ http://tinyurl.com/2fattsy
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010

Another thought. If you are closer to a neighbor that has a tray loading CD/DVD drive then to a store they would probably be willing to copy the mini-CD to a full size one for you. But I would suggest getting the external with the tray when you get a chance.

Jane B.
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Just out of curiosity have you tried reading the card in a PC? What type of files did you shoot on the card. Raw, jpeg, tiff, etc?
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I have a Nikon 300 and am using a SanDisk Extreme III 4.0 gb memory card. I used it this afternoon and erased all images before taking a family photo session tonight. During the session I was checking the images/histograms. I turned the camera off, came home, turned it back on to check the images. They were there. I put the card in my card reader and my Mac says it can't read the card, either initialize the disk or eject it. I ejected it and put it in my camera. The camera says, format the card. I can't remember ever formatting a card. Can I retrieve these images somehow? If I format the card, I will lose all images, correct? Any suggestions? Thanks, Sigheadscratch.gifbow

Not formatting and only deleting degrades a card's performance over time and also can make it go bad quicker. Always format after a full fill up. Its OK to delete if you're desperate on the field but other than that, fill it up, copy it over, and format it. I do a full format on the PC since it goes over each sector uniformly. In-camera format is not as thorough as a full format, but it is much better than just deleting everything.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    what a rubbish

there is no need to format an sd-card , or any chip-based card
    formatting is meant for harddisks , to get the magnetic layers in line , not for chip based cards

there exist several applications to rescue files
    but , ................
    they may not be overwritten ;
    taking new photo's = ( probably ) overwriting
    formatting = overwriting

there also exist app's to repair a damaged card
    but , i say , if a card is damaged , better replace
    they are not that expensive
    edited July 29, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    what a rubbish

there is no need to format an sd-card , or any chip-based card
    formatting is meant for harddisks , to get the magnetic layers in line , not for chip based cards

there exist several applications to rescue files
    but , ................
    they may not be overwritten ;
    taking new photo's = ( probably ) overwriting
    formatting = overwriting

there also exist app's to repair a damaged card
    but , i say , if a card is damaged , better replace
    they are not that expensive

I do not Think it is rubbish since the card manufacturers are the ones recommending to format in camera.......Here is a portion from the Lexar site.......

1 - Once the Secure Erase option has been selected for the camera model you're using, place the card in the camera and select Format. Once the format has been completed your Lexar card is ready to use for that particular camera model.

Aother portion from same site...........

Utilizing different cameras with your Lexar memory card:

Tips:

It is recommended to use one Lexar memory card in each camera model you have. Using one card between different cameras models - Canon 20D vs. Canon 1Ds Mark II and others - can result in possible data corruption.

Oh yes how to delete images from card.............

ecommended ways to delete images from your Lexar memory card

Tips:

Deleting images in the camera is a convenience but at the same time can result in data corruption, especially with large file formats like RAW and TIFF files. Move and save the images to your computer, then utilize the editing software that came with your camera or a third-party software application for more flexibility. Once the files are moved, it is recommended to initialize your Lexar memory card.

Note: Processing on a camera is light operation. Remember that when you're deleting an image, you're only deleting the file name and other related information pertaining to the image-not the actual image itself. This is why you can still recover the image once it is deleted, since the data area where the image is stored remains intact.

here is the page that these were pulled from............... http://tinyurl.com/27nq9hu

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    dont know what Lexar means [ guess its a brand ]
    OP was about a normal HC sandisk card

if files are not overwritten , they (sometimes) can be rescued .

for cards there is no need to format , or any special software , nor procedure .
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    dont know what Lexar means [ guess its a brand ]
    OP was about a normal HC sandisk card

if files are not overwritten , they (sometimes) can be rescued .

for cards there is no need to format , or any special software , nor procedure .

if it's a quick format they can still be recovered... lexar is only the biggest card manufacturer next to sandisk btw