Options

DIY Event Photo Opportunity.

GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm currently shooting sporting events and in researching what's on, I'm finding a lot of different festivals and special events which pull large crowds. Unfortunately they are not within my business model atm but I would like to investigate something that would work for general gatherings.

I'd like to set something up in a stall that would attract people to come and be photographed and I could print the pics out for them like I do at the events I cover now only create the photo op myself.

Last week when on holidays, I went to an amusement park with the kids and they had Photographers all around the place in little area's taking shots of the kids holding a baby crock or with a bird sitting on their shoulder or with a Koala etc. I have seen Pics taken of people on roller coasters etc in much the same way.
The pics were put on walls near the exit and I was amazed to see the number of people buying them. They certainly had a huge uptake and must have been making the park a real tidy sum.

There are places in tourist locations where you dress up like a cowboy in the old west etc but these all tend to be in shop locations, not something that is taken on the road so to speak.

I have never seen anything "Portable" like this at general events here at a market or festival but I imagine there may be something in the US of the sort of thing I'm looking to do ( not with animals) .

Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas for something that could be easily set up where there are crowds that would be good for selling instant delivery Pics?

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Hmmm, Maybe I'm wrong?

Are there any Photo type businesses around of the sort of thing I'm thinking of?
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Hi there. I've never seen anything in the 'portable' genre that you are describing - just the studio type set up. But, I suppose it could be done with unique backdrops and props - e.g. a huge wave curl on the backdrop and a set up where the model poses on a surf board and looks like they're right there? Sorry, not much help on this one.ne_nau.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    you would need a single mult purpose backdrop for your intended theme ...a set of light.....so for no prob....possibly a wardrobe full of vaious customes....not much pof a prob so far and at least 2 decent sized changing rooms...or the costumes have to one size fits all with velcro type fastenners so the clients can put on over their existing clothes........
    Have I actually seen it....yup...it was a old timey cowboy themed...even had a handmade wooden coffin for those wanting to be dead in the pic......he was only in business for about 2 years and then his stuff was up for sale......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Most of the theme parks actually "license" all the professional photographs that are taken at their park so they can make a pretty profit on them. For instance some of the ride shots are done by Kodak or similar service leasing space to place the equipment and the "storefront" to sell the images. Typically Kodak or other purveyor pays a percentage of the gross to the park/property owner in addition. Some of the parks hire the photographers that walk around and then do all of the printing themselves. It is a difficult thing though as the pictures must be better than the image one could get with a point and shoot if the park is going to charge for it. So usually it is a high end printer for the output and I have even seen some where if you get the bigger prints ($$$$) there is someone there to do a quick color adjust before printing.

The closest thing I have seen to your idea is a "portable" green screen solution with some basic props at county fairs, but well I don't think it would be a huge money maker given the quality of the work. The competition is the cell phone camera that is good enough and already in the person's pocket. You would have to sell the once in a lifetime portion of the event/picture which is what the theme parks do very very well.

I am not saying it is impossible, just that the market constraints need to be considered and they are tipped toward the location making the money.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact