Options

RIP Mackie

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited August 24, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Mackie, short for Dominick after the Dominican family who lived next door moved and abandoned him. That was 14 years ago. He has lived through 4 little kids pulling him by the tail and dragging him on the floor like a toy, my daughter holding him like a purse upsidedown, and an assortment of neighbor kids who would ring the bell just to play with him. He was the most peaceful animal I've ever seen, the Ghandi of the feline kingdom.

He has been sick lately and we knew it was time. I broke the news to my son yesterday and he took it hard. I asked if it was ok to take a couple of photos of him and Mackie and he said yes.

He was put down this morning and he is now buried in our yard under the pitchers mound, and now everytime the kids throw a strike, they will call it "a Mackie".

951534551_sB7nE-XL.jpg

951534533_5Pz3G-XL.jpg

951534594_bPEpE-XL.jpg

I know they are soft, but I was upset myself when taking the shots, but I'm glad I have them, especially the one of my son and him because they were the closest.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 29, 2010
    I'm sorry for your loss. We had a black lab for 14 years when we had to make the decision to put her down.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    captain78 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss. We had a black lab for 14 years when we had to make the decision to put her down.

Thank you captain78, it has been about 10 years since we lost our dog, we haven't replaced him, I doubt we'll replace Mackie. Time for a pet rock.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    awww, poor old dude. Good to know he was loved even though you all will have the pain of missing him.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 29, 2010
    I doubt we'll replace Mackie. Time for a pet rock.
    No, no, you should get a kitten as soon as possible. After our 14 year old cat died, we said we were never going to get another one. A year later, my brother-in-law just showed up one day with a kitten. He's a pain in the butt (the cat, that is) but he's family now.

Sorry about the loss.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss…

…but look at it as 14 years of love and a good home that you were able to give Mackie! …not all felines are as lucky!

I agree with Richard; you should think of getting a replacement as soon as possible…

I know it's not the same, but here are some pictures of various cats I've known over the past forty years… (I'm still not sure if they're the cause or the cure of my craziness… eek7.gifeek7.gif)

A cat makes a home!

Hang in there!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Your post brought tears to my eyes. Our animals become a part of the family and it is so very hard to lose them.

May your son hit lots of Mackies in the years to come.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    they always take a piece of ourselves when they go, don't you think.

I agree fill your home with another, the young boy needs it.
  • Options
    azboricuaazboricua Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Losing a pet, a day I know will come for both of my dogs but I refuse to acknowledge it. It hurts just thinking about it. Sorry for your loss. Now its time to give another cat the same loving home you gave Mackie. Your son needs it.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I like your burial under the mound. As time passes I hope all the "Mackies" bring happy memories and smiles.

And the first picture is absolutely wonderful. You have captured so much in your son's look: love, sadness, anticipation, memories...

Thank you for sharing with us.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    That is always such a tough decision Liz. Good for you for managing some shots in such a tough situation. They'll be treasured.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Oh my. I love your photos, especially the first one. So sad. :-(

It reminds me of when I had to put down my 17-year old cat, Sweet Potato, nearly 8 years ago (she died in my arms). I have not had another pet since. I just couldn't do it. I was even thinking about her earlier today :cry

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you captured those last moments with Mackie, to be cherished forever like the memories. iloveyou.gif
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I couldn't help it....the tears welled up reading about Mackie. The attachment I've had with my pets over the years defies definition. To say they were, or are, like family members is putting it mildly. I'm sure your family's life has been richer because of having Mackie....that's what you have to focus on and give thanks for the many joys he brought your way.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Thank you all, I'm truly touched by all the response.
    I knew I had to share these with you and knew that you would understand.

WIll thanks for sharing the link to your cat galleries--the terror of the neighborhood had me smiling. Love to see the different personalities.

Thank you all.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Mackie, short for Dominick after the Dominican family who lived next door moved and abandoned him. That was 14 years ago. He has lived through 4 little kids pulling him by the tail and dragging him on the floor like a toy, my daughter holding him like a purse upsidedown, and an assortment of neighbor kids who would ring the bell just to play with him. He was the most peaceful animal I've ever seen, the Ghandi of the feline kingdom.

He has been sick lately and we knew it was time. I broke the news to my son yesterday and he took it hard. I asked if it was ok to take a couple of photos of him and Mackie and he said yes.

He was put down this morning and he is now buried in our yard under the pitchers mound, and now everytime the kids throw a strike, they will call it "a Mackie".

[IMG][/img]

I'm so sorry to hear this, Liz. I know what you're going through as I literally had to do the same thing a week-ago tonight, before leaving on my current trip. I told my son - 28 in November - that as he brought Fluff The Cat into our home as a kitten 17 summers ago, he should taken him to the vet. His response? "Oh, no, that's definitely a
    'Dad job.' " Fluff, like Mackie, is now buried in the backyard. You'd think that after 14 years - or 17 - you'd be ready, but you never are. Hang in there.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Liz. I know what you're going through as I literally had to do the same thing a week-ago tonight, before leaving on my current trip. I told my son - 28 in November - that as he brought Fluff The Cat into our home as a kitten 17 summers ago, he should taken him to the vet. His response? "Oh, no, that's definitely a
    'Dad job.' " Fluff, like Mackie, is now buried in the backyard. You'd think that after 14 years - or 17 - you'd be ready, but you never are. Hang in there.

I'm sorry about Fluff The Cat, was he the white one? I remember a fluffy cat in your pics and figured that had to be him.

Thank you B.D.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I'm having a hard time responding to this thread without relating to my own experience. It is the most difficult aspect of the obligation and commitment made when taking a pet into the family. I am sure these images will be something that your son will cherish in the years to come.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Howdy Liz,

I had to wait until I got home to respond, had tears when I first read your post, needless to say, anyone that loves the Mousers and Hounds like we do can feel the sadness and sense of loss ya'll are going through, but also can take heart knowing all of the good times and the Memories that will never leave you and your family.

It was a great way to chronicle Mackie's day with ya'll, and I know it was crushing for your Boy, but as you say knowing how much Baseball is in ya'lls lives, Mackie will always be a part of your family.

I wholeheartly agree about getting/ maybe adopting another Mouser, not to fill Mackie's Void, but to give your love to another companion and start more memories.

You'll see Mackie again one day when we all cross the Rainbow Bridge they'll all be waiting for us.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Liz,

I had to wait until I got home to respond, had tears when I first read your post, needless to say, anyone that loves the Mousers and Hounds like we do can feel the sadness and sense of loss ya'll are going through, but also can take heart knowing all of the good times and the Memories that will never leave you and your family.

It was a great way to chronicle Mackie's day with ya'll, and I know it was crushing for your Boy, but as you say knowing how much Baseball is in ya'lls lives, Mackie will always be a part of your family.

I wholeheartly agree about getting/ maybe adopting another Mouser, not to fill Mackie's Void, but to give your love to another companion and start more memories.

You'll see Mackie again one day when we all cross the Rainbow Bridge they'll all be waiting for us.

Kindest Regards,

Craig

Thank you Jenn and Craig,
    Much appreciated.
    Jenn I am very glad to have these images and have looked at them repeatedly over the weekend.

Craig--
    it's funny you say "mouser", Mackie wouldn't hurt a fly literally, not even a mouse,he befriended all creatures:) He was an odd cat for sure, I think he thought he was a dog.

Thank you both for the kind words.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Sorry for the loss. The quality of the pictures doesn't matter, the quality of the memories attached to the pictures is what matters.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Liz - Just got here by the link on the Nice to meet you thread (challenges forum). So sorry for your loss. Pets, well, what can I say, they are wonderful & it's very hard to lose one, like losing a part of your family. Glad you had the presence of mind to get some nice memory shots, and the emotional strength to share them. Lillian
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Very sorry.
    We also have lots of cats but they roam around freely in neighborhood. When ever they are not doing well and about to die they leave home.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I am sorry.... Losing a pet is so incredibly hard. I know the pain you feel. You brought me to tears with these pictures. They are precious... and some day will mean even more than they do now.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Oh, Liz, have only just seen this - I know only too well what you've been through, and how hard it is. We had to have our beloved 14 year old Beau the Bearded Collie put to sleep 2 days before I went out of town - I still haven't got used to the idea he's not here. I'm SO SO SO happy that I took lots of pictures of him this year - I think we had a feeling he might not be with us too much longer.

Hugs to you and yours.