DSS 56 ideas - panning

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited July 30, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm going to try to re-shoot another one of these bicycle polo matches. This is one from outside the date range but about the only one of the hundreds I took that has the background blurred enough and the subjects in focus enough... I had no idea how hard it is to capture moving people!

934000930_aSH5o-M.jpg

thoughts on subject/composition before I go re-shoot?

PS bicycle polo is, well, polo played on a tennis / roller hockey court, on bicycles. Mallets are ski poles with PVC pipe on the end, and polo ball is a red street hockey ball.

Comments

• liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I'm not getting a strong feeling of motion in this shot, but it looks like a very worthy subject!
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    I'm not getting a strong feeling of motion in this shot, but it looks like a very worthy subject!
    15524779-Ti.gif I also wish they were a little further into the frame.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I like the disk of the spinning bicycle wheel in the back, and the water filled field. I agree that they're not far enough into the field and that the background isn't blurred enough.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback - I'll be lucky if I can get a wet field tuesday, but here's hoping!

This was taken in full auto - I'll have to experiment with shutter priority to get the background blurred enough. These guys aren't in the frame because I was actually overcompensating for their movement and kind of moved them right out the back of it... so it's going to take some practice.