1 Old & New

33579408-M.jpg

2 Alive & Dead

33579404-M.jpg

Comments

• burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    #2 is more appealing to me..
    my only suggestion with it is to fix the sky so that it's not so washed out..
    nice work - really like the dof in this one!!
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    How do i fix the sky i'm very new to photography and photoshop?
    Thanks for your comments
    Gary
    burke wrote:
    #2 is more appealing to me..
    my only suggestion with it is to fix the sky so that it's not so washed out..
    nice work - really like the dof in this one!!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    You should probably take this question to the Theory, Technique and How-to Forum. In the meantime, since no one has yet responded, here is my two cents worth. :D

I use Corel PhotoPaint, not PhotoShop, but I can tell you what I would try and that might help until someone with PS knowledge jumps in.

First, look at the original of your picture to see if there is any color or detail in the sky. If there is enough color, mask out the original sky, then do any brightening and contrast adjustment you need to do on the exposed foreground. Invert the mask and make adjustments you want to make to the sky. You should do this on a new layer so that it is easy to start over again if you don't like the results. Once you are happy with the results, combine the layers.

If the sky in the original is washed out (as I think is probably the case), you need to either change the color or replace it with a sky that works better from another photograph (taken during the challenge period).

I think that replacing the sky with a pale bluish gray would be pretty easy to do once you mask out the foreground, but you have to be very careful you don't end up with something that looks artificial because the color of the sky is too homogeneous. I can use the fill tool in PhotoPaint to introduce gradations to the tint, but I'm not sure how one does it in PS. Also, I haven't tried the fill technique on this kind of problem, so I don't know how successful it would be.

Finally, you can use a sky from another photo. I don't kow the process for doing this in PS, and I know you have to be careful about the direction of light sources, etc., but I suspect it is relatively straightforward if you have a good candidate for the replacement sky.

Having said all of that, I think you would be better off reshooting the picture with an eye towards avoiding a washed out sky.

Good luck with your efforts! thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    I like "Alive & Dead"
    The "washout" doesn't bother me in the least. But then.... I'm from the school that believes that every photograph doesn't have to be technically perfect.

My eye is immediately drawn to the focus point and color of the "Alive" and then drifts into the "Dead" background (including the dead washout). It fits the Theme. Works for me.

If you do decide to re-shoot this to get the Sky all perfect like... you might as well try composing it a couple of different ways. Bring an old blanket or sheet and shoot it on your belly.... bring the flower things up higher in the shot. Just an idea. Trying to "photoshop" this sucker would be a bit time consuming since the "washout" bleeds into the tree and bushes.

Or.... ignore everything I've said. This post will self destruct in 5, 4, 3......
    :D
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    I like #2 better. It's definitely a good concept for the challenge!

I would have made the rose bush more prominent in the image. The rose by itself seems to be loosely related to the overall image because there's nothing it is a part of. My preference would be to have more depth of field so the entire scene is in focus but that's just my taste.

Erich
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Thanks for all replies and help, i took this in my dinner time on a job in Derby and i'm now working in Nottingham so i think i will give upon this one and try the next challenge:cry