Options

#56 Pan me.

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
A couple of possibles from this evenings shoot and a couple that I really wish had worked out a little better.

C&C always appreciated

#1 Balance (f8 1/25s)
951835402_GyCoj-L.jpg

#2 Easy when you know how (the wakeboarding that is) (f8 1/20s)
951836598_X4PAH-L.jpg

#3 f8 1/9s
951837271_6SMou-L.jpg

#4 f8 1/15s
951839233_i4tdw-L.jpg
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I like most #2
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I think I like #3, because there's more of a sense of motion. But, I see why #2 might be better because the person is less blurry. But, #2 looks a bit static to me.

(and, generally, I like these. I love the panned water and the smoothed green).
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I vote for #2. #1 is good too, but I love the expression on the face of the second guy and he also takes up more of the frame.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,277 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I like #2
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I think #3 and #4 have too much motion blur in the main subject. I think #2 is the crispest.
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Great subject matter! But like you said, unfortunately some didn't quite hit. I really like #4. Too bad. I hope you can reshoot it. I hadn't thought of that subject matter. Each of these shots has a great POV!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    I like most #2
    Thanks for the feedback Tatiana.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    I think I like #3, because there's more of a sense of motion. But, I see why #2 might be better because the person is less blurry. But, #2 looks a bit static to me.

(and, generally, I like these. I love the panned water and the smoothed green).
    Thanks for the feedback, I really wanted #3 & #4 to work but I think the motion blur on the person is too much for this challenge.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I vote for #2. #1 is good too, but I love the expression on the face of the second guy and he also takes up more of the frame.
    Thanks for the input Sandi, I was having problems keeping them in the frame which is why I zoomed out a little for #1.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I like #2
    Thanks for the input Kate.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I think #3 and #4 have too much motion blur in the main subject. I think #2 is the crispest.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    Froch wrote: »
    Great subject matter! But like you said, unfortunately some didn't quite hit. I really like #4. Too bad. I hope you can reshoot it. I hadn't thought of that subject matter. Each of these shots has a great POV!
    Went back today and got some better ones (I think) so I'll post those in another thread. The POV was a tad risky, I was balancing the camera on my toe a couple of inches above the water at the edge of the lake & had to move quickly when the wake came in.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    This will all boil down to personal taste as to the opinions you get, but I like the instance in the third and 4th images the best. I find that a little boosting of the contrast in each as well as cropping would make them better images.

In #3, crop lots off the bottom and top, and the left out to make the skier be right in the middle of the left third. In #4, crop off the top, and make his hands be clearly in the right half of the image. Make the crop imply the directionality of the motion, not just the blur. Give the skiers a place to go, or a place to have come from.

The trick to this is to hold the camera very solidly below the lens, your upper body all as one piece, and turn your hips to follow. Really concentrate on holding the target on something, then squeeze off the shutter like you are firing a rifle. You want to get some part of the image that looks like it was steady.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    HoofClix wrote: »
    This will all boil down to personal taste as to the opinions you get, but I like the instance in the third and 4th images the best. I find that a little boosting of the contrast in each as well as cropping would make them better images.

In #3, crop lots off the bottom and top, and the left out to make the skier be right in the middle of the left third. In #4, crop off the top, and make his hands be clearly in the right half of the image. Make the crop imply the directionality of the motion, not just the blur. Give the skiers a place to go, or a place to have come from.
    Thanks for the input and the suggestions Mark.
    HoofClix wrote: »
    The trick to this is to hold the camera very solidly below the lens, your upper body all as one piece, and turn your hips to follow. Really concentrate on holding the target on something, then squeeze off the shutter like you are firing a rifle. You want to get some part of the image that looks like it was steady.
    Normally when panning that's what I'd do but to get the low POV I wanted I was having to balance the camera on my foot which made smooth panning more of a challenge.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page