Options

How do I keep my files in the order they were taken off multiple cards?

jwtruth35jwtruth35 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Finishing School
I feel pretty stupid asking about this, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I'm still very much a noob but can usually stumble through things until I figure them out.

My problem specifically is trying to keep files in order all the way from uploading the memory cards to computer, converting from raw to jpg and uploading to my website galleries.

I have my cameras date/time synchronized which I thought would put them in order but I always end up with the pictures in the order the cards were uploaded.

Then, if I put them in the order I want (even before converting from raw) they always get screwed up again. I've been using the canon zoom browser to dump the cards and DPP to convert from raw but have been considering just using CS3 for everything if it's easier.

If someone else was dumb enough not to know how to do this and there is already a thread to address all or some of this I would greatly appreciate someone to point me in the right direction.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,217 moderator
    edited July 30, 2010
    In Canon DPP you could try View > Sort > Shooting Date/Time

In any file browser (like Windows Explorer) you can sort the shots chronologically by forcing Details and then click the Date Modified header. This would display only JPEG files unless you download a utility to read RAW formats.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 30, 2010
    If your cameras are synchronized exactly, then any program that can sort on date/time created should display them in order. The problem is, some programs pick up the file creation date, which is when the pic is uploaded to the computer, not the pic creation date/time. My solution is to re-name the files using a convention that keeps them in creation sort order.

Load all the pics into a single folder. Open the folder in Bridge CS3 and select all. In View->Sort check Ascending Order and Date created. Now rename the files using whichever method you like. I use yymmdd_nnnn where nnnn is a four digit serial number. As long as I don't upload more than 9999 pics on a single day, the file names will be in creation sort order and will be guaranteed to be unique. Just make sure that if you rename more than one batch in a day, you don't start over from 0001. Bridge will remember the last number used, so it's not really much of a hassle. When you're done, your pics will have names that naturally sort into creation order even in programs that are unaware of EXIF data. deal.gif
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I also rename my pics, though I use my file management utility, Total Commander, to do it. Total Commander has a great batch rename feature that includes sequential numbering, search and replace, time and date codes, and upper/lower/capital case.

http://www.ghisler.com/
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 30, 2010
    If your cameras clock are synched, I think Lightroom does it automatically. Mine always seems to.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jwtruth35jwtruth35 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Thanks everyone for all the help. Thanks David for the DPP specific info. Did exactly as I needed.