Options

First Engagement Shots

TrulyAlaskanTrulyAlaskan Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Weddings
I want to start by saying, this is not my forte. There are no abandoned cars, dilapidated buildings, or starry nights around. These were taken for fun, for some friends of mine.... mainly because they were truly upset with their actual photographer. Their photographer was horrible, so they asked if there was anything I could do.... Oh yeah, he's a pilot so he wanted some shots in front of planes... I have a couple, so we used them.

C&C are welcome... I'm not normally a people person (hence why my photography is taken at night.... alone.... in abandoned buildings)

613262927_7A8Nd-M-1.jpg

613254430_h7uah-M-1.jpg

613304706_4eLD6-M-1.jpg

613306433_6B4p7-M-2.jpg

613323566_nxX3i-M-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I always like to see people in love and you do bring this over.

If I may make a small suggestion, next time it might be better to agree beforehand on the style - she comes in a formal evening look while he is golf club casual. His hands-in-pocket style makes him look diffident while she seems more spontaneous. This could be a conscious artistic effect - after all people getting engaged are just starting out on the synching process - but likely not.

Technically he might notice that the plane is changing colors. She probably won't!

The photos I personally like best from my own engagement time are the ones where we were wearing our normal clothes and behaving naturally - but that is all up to the customer.

I think they will be happy with what you did for them.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Technically he might notice that the plane is changing colors. She probably won't!
    I think it's two different planes. She may notice but he probably won't. Just teasing you, goldenballs. :smooch

I agree that they could use a little more creativity, but I think overall they aren't bad. The first one and last one appear a little dull looking with the processing and I would maybe try and push the black point or darken it a little more. I think my favorite is the second one. I would maybe narrow the DOF a bit in the future. (That's the portrait versus landscape mentality I think.) Not bad for a first shot and I think they'll like them. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    Thank you both.

Actually it's three different planes. I own the first 2, he owns the third.

Goldenballs - you are correct, I didn't mention anything about style to them. This is what they wore to the first photoshoot... I was about to leave on a fishing trip and he called me to take the photos right then. However, your initial assessment sums up the couple. She is super outgoing, he is quiet and reserved.

Met - Thank you, I will try to think in more of a portrait mentality next time.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    My fav is 2... simply because it doesn't have that nasty shadow caused by your flash on camera in portrait orientation. I probably like 4 next best.... and would have loved it if your flash had been softened and off camera.

Step back and get more of the scene in... We live in AK, so show it off!

I agree with Met's comments about the muddy processing in 1 & 5.

You have some potential with these images! Keep on shooting!

(Catch anything?)
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    Heather- thanks! So do you have any good resources on getting my flash off camera, or just anything on how to properly use flashes on people? I'm use to off camera lighting (check out my site) but it's not controlled by camera. I love light, and love what can be done with it; I just need a bit of direction when it comes to people.
    Again, this is not my forte, but Id love to learn to make myself an all around better photographer.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Well... pretty much everything you need to get started (including a shopping list) is on the strobist website... That will keep you going for a while. Tutorial after tutorial.... Very nicely written and easy to understand too.
    Me, I go simple with a Ste2 and a pile of 580EXIIs... it allows for ETTL shooting -which is really important for me since I am constantly on the move at weddings.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick edit to give you an idea about what I meant about the processing on 1 & 5. Just an idea.

953072575_ZFPZb-XL.jpg