d300 trade question

blankblank Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 2, 2010 in Cameras
Alright so Im getting a d300 body on a trade I dont have a choice in camera as thats what has been offered but its a good trade none the less.

I am coming from the film slr world but this gives me the excuse to get into the dslr world. The question is should I keep the d300 body wait a couple weeks until I can afford a not as expensive lens (but will be able to afford nicer glass in the future) and enjoy. If this is the case recommend me a lens in the 200-300 dollar range (not opposed to used) good for outdoor type shooting (macro to landscape). Or trade it for a d80/90 and be able to afford possibly some nicer glass up front but risk regretting not keeping the d300 in the future depending on how much more serious I get.

Her are some pictures of the d300 in question it has 8k clicks.
D300front.jpg

D300top.jpg

Photo taken a couple days ago.
_ID20315.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Check ebay for 18-200 or....sigma 18-250 or tokina 18-270(that maybe a tamron) ....lost of used on ebay
    Personally I would keep the D300 but I really like mine and not going to let them go untill I am ready for the FF move.
    I just broke the lens shade on my Nikon18-200 and as soon as the new lens hood arrives it will be up for sale....
    trying to get all FF lenses so that when I make the move the lenses will already be in bag.... :-}}

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    if you don't intend to get very serious about your phorogrpahy then get th 18-200mm VR and be done with it. You'll have to save up for that. If you are more on the experienced side then start out with a 50mm 1.4D and then build as you go.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • blankblank Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2010
    Not entirely sure how serious im going to get at this point for as much as I know going dslr might be the ticket to me actually getting pretty serious. Art how much are you thinking of selling the 18-200 for?
    edited July 30, 2010
    blank wrote: »
    Not entirely sure how serious im going to get at this point for as much as I know going dslr might be the ticket to me actually getting pretty serious. Art how much are you thinking of selling the 18-200 for?

haha..that is the issue isn't it? Either way having 50mm prime is going to be good bet anyway when you want some low light action or delicious bokeh or doing portraits.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • blankblank Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2010
    Where I am going to start with this dslr is macro shots (flowers/bugs/etc) I really have a large interest in that sort of shooting, additionally I will be doing various other nature shots. Hopefully I can get some good recommendations on a lens setup for that sort of shooting.

I know that going dslr will get me more into photography and im prepared for that but I dont doubt that eventually I will branch off from nature photography so all recommendations would be very helpful both to get me started and what sort of accessories to look for in the future based on my interests.
    edited July 30, 2010
    hmmm I see..then here is where I woudl start:

60mm 2.8 nikkor + kenko extension tubes + sb600 flash and off camera sc28 cord plus cheapo flash bracket. You will want get your flash off camera for macro..and yeah you will need a flash for macro or you will be very limited. The 60mm doubles as a great lens for portraits as well.

you could try the new nikkor 85mm 3.5 micro as well..get's you a bit more magnification but not as flexible a lens when not shooting macro...plus more expensive

You can build a diffuser DIY,
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    I had much the same dilemma with a D200 body I bought from a fellow dgriner. I went out and bought a new 35mm, f1.8, just to get a lens on the camera and start getting to know it. The 35f1.8 was so cheap, I couldn't not own one. BTW, I find it a very sharp lens. Must admit, my 18-200 Sigma pretty much "lives" on the camera these days.
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    skysailor wrote: »
    I had much the same dilemma with a D200 body I bought from a fellow dgriner. I went out and bought a new 35mm, f1.8, just to get a lens on the camera and start getting to know it. The 35f1.8 was so cheap, I couldn't not own one. BTW, I find it a very sharp lens. Must admit, my 18-200 Sigma pretty much "lives" on the camera these days.

How do you find the 18-200 from Sigma? I had one some time ago, but it started to do very poorly. I might have gotten a bad copy though.