35mm and 120 film scanners

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited August 9, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes.

Been going retro recently with film and feel it would be more economical to do the scanning myself in the long run (this may be a foolish assumption). Want to look on the used market, any recommendations for a decent scanner that can do both 35 and 120 film negatives that won't break the bank?

My reasoning is that I can get film developed cheap locally but it is more than I want to pay for the scans.

Any input?

Jon

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 31, 2010
    For "proofing" both negatives and reversal film in 35mm and medium format I can vouch for the Epson Perfection V500 flatbed scanner with its included transparency lid. I don't recommend it for ultimate quality but it will work fine for many applications.

The Perfection V700 and V750 are arguably better, and you can get third party film holders to improve their results even a little more, but they are quite a bit more money. The V750 even allows "wet" scanning.

For any better quality you really should look at the Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED film scanner, but now you're talking pretty serious money.

For "art" quality originals consider using a scanning service that uses a drum scanner.

If you should get a film scanner also look at getting VueScan software for much better control over the process.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy, I will look into those.
  • candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    What about 4x5 film? Any sugestions?
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D
    http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 9, 2010
    Sorry to be so late to answer, I was not subscribed to this thread.

The Epson Perfection V700 and V750 will both scan up to 8" x 10" transparencies and negatives. They both come with 4" x 5" film holders. They do have dedicated and separate lenses for 4800 dpi and 6400 dpi, but all reflective art is scanned at a maximum 4800 dpi and transparencies larger than 5.9 inch width are also limited to 4800 dpi.

The above recommendation for VueScan still applies.

I would also recommend these scanners as "proof" scanners only as their output DMax is less than a good drum scan.

So use one of these scanners to sort your images and do preliminary processing trials and then use a service with a drum scanner for critical work and to realize the full potential of the 4" x 5" image.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums