Brightleaf Square

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• BPvSTBPvST Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    A detail would be better, now it is too much in one picture.
    For me it is also a bit too dark.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    BPvST wrote: »
    A detail would be better, now it is too much in one picture.
    For me it is also a bit too dark.

I was at a bit of a struggle over the compromise between detail and a more all-encompassing scene. I agree that it's a bit busy, but would love some thoughts on what could be reduced here while still giving a broader sense of place. I did however do a detail shot to try and capture a sense of place:

953847898_64u3M-L.jpg

Thoughts on this one as a detail shot?

Regarding the darkness of it, that's an interesting comment. By how many stops would you say it's underexposed?

Cheers,
    Karl
  • BPvSTBPvST Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    I think it is about 1 to 1.5 under exposed
    I would make a crop to the R side by removing the black pipes
    and remove on the L side also the black pipe.

The detail in yr second post is not that interesting due to the low stand point and the central composition
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    So the tones in the last 2 zones of the image are there, just very low. That said, I took the image, cropped it, and applied a curve that made the whitepoint around the end of Zone 7 instead of Zone 10 and here is the result:

956413626_RDRtr-L.jpg

My eye goes over the leading lines in the image and then travels immediately to the storm drain on the left wondering where the rest of it is. If nothing else, I'm now seeing around how close I needed to come in to still have a broad view of the scene but without being too broad.

Thoughts?