Visit to Frio River, Texas Hill Country

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Landscapes
I took a short day thru the Hill Country late last week. I traveled Hwy 337, which is one of the prettiest drives I have found in this part of Texas. I ended up in Leakey, where I stopped to shoot a few images of the Frio River. It has cypress trees on both banks, which can make for some nice reflections when the water is still.

I did my PP three ways and would like to know which image you prefer, and why. I am still working on my B&W conversion technique, but I think this could yield a nice image, so shout out if you have suggestions for me.

More shots from this trip will follow. Just wanted to get started on something so I opted for the river shot. I have similar images from other trips, still waiting to be processed. I'd appreciate any tips on how to get the best out of these shots. Please help. :D

Many Thanks,
Lauren

1. Processed in Aperture w/ curves and levels, plus some other tweaks
953978092_dGvr6-L.jpg

2. Same as #1, but with B&W conversion in Aperture; added a bit more contrast and adjusted hghilights/shadows
953980106_BZcw4-L.jpg

3. HDR - 4 exposure (f/29 at 4sec, 2.5sec, 1.6sec, 1sec); finished in PS
954258154_aZF3p-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Hey. Looks like a lovely spot for sure.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I much prefer the first treatment. This is a very 'busy' photo and I got lost in the B&W version - couldn't see a clear focal point to the image which the colour in the first one allowed me to do.

The HDR I found to be too much, particularly with such a busy image.

Joel and I are going to PEI at the end of Sept. for a few days - I'll have to see if I can get some shots to compare with youmwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Ceci - Being a "traditionalist" myself, I preferred the first one also. But I wanted to try some other treatments and see what suggestions might be made for them. Thanks for looking! Can't wait to see your shots from PEI! :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 1, 2010
    Awesome shot, Lauren. So much green, and yet the color balance looks good. I too prefer #1, but all three version work quite well. thumb.gif
    edited August 1, 2010
    Thanks, kdog! A little more green than I've seen in your recent shots, eh? rolleyes1.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Hey Lauren,

Whatcha' doing on motorcycle roads? rolleyes1.gifThat's one of the three sisters you know!

I prefer the B&W version here. It calms down the business of the reflections, that pulls my eye away from the main scene.

Nice shot!
    Randy
    edited August 1, 2010
    Thanks, Randy! I did see quite a few motorcycles, as I had on my previous trek on Hwy 337. I kinda figured you'd been there once upon a time! :D Didn't know they were called three sisters--what are the other roads? Why are they called that?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    Thanks, Randy! I did see quite a few motorcycles, as I had on my previous trek on Hwy 337. I kinda figured you'd been there once upon a time! :D Didn't know they were called three sisters--what are the other roads? Why are they called that?

The Three Sisters (AKA The Twisted Sisters)- Ranch Roads 335, 336, & 337a

Look at the picture about 1/3 down the page :D
    Randy
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    These are lovely. I especially like the first one, but the black and white shows the reflection nicely.
    edited August 2, 2010
    Randy - That shot does look familiar. :D

Eia - Thanks for commenting. The more I look at these, the harder time I'm having picking my own favorite!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    i like the first one best. the B&W just doesn't work for me... much too busy... and the HDR, while it offers rich colors, seems too bright.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited August 3, 2010
    Thanks, Rocky.

I am working on some more shots from this trip so I'll post more soon. Will keep in mind the comments from this thread as I work them up.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com