Lotus

AndyCapAndyCap Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited August 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
My first photo post here.

My wife bought me my Canon Rebel XS for Christmas, and this July, for my birthday, she got me a wide angle lens - EF 24mm f/2.8. I then went out and got myself a gift - EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

This seems to be a pretty good set up for an amateur. Now I just need to work on my skills.

Yesterday I went for my first real nature shoot, and I took this shot. Overall I am pleased with it because it was so bright out there, and the white of the flower could wash out in the brightness very easily. So, I went with a much shorter exposure and a bit higher ISO. This has been resized from the original size of 3888 x 2592. Otherwise, no editting has been done.

"Lotus"
f/5.6
ISO 800
Exposure: 1/3200

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Congratulations on your new lens, and welcome to DGPF!

You've certainly come to the right place to learn about photography…

DGPF is absolutely full of experienced folk who are only too eager to share their enthusiasm and expertise with beginners…

…and then there are the curmudgeons! headscratch.gif

…and then there is The Curmudgeon eek7.gifeek7.gif

You might try checking out some of the tutorials…

…you might find it useful to start with the one about focusing! mwink.gif

I look forward to seeing more of your pictures!

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: Just noticed your avatar - the Andy Capp cartoon strip (Reg Smythe) in the Daily Mirror takes me back to when I was growing up in the UK; I haven't seen that for years!
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • AndyCapAndyCap Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2010
    Hey Thanx Wil. Yeah I read all of the Andy Capp books when I was a kid - still have them.

I will check the tutorial you recommended.

BTW - This shot was taken in Merrimack, NH. There is a hiking trail out behind the Junior High. There are some great water spots out there for shooting.