Options

Cropping

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited August 27, 2005 in Technique
When cropping a photo is it best to make your adjustments before or after a crop, does it make a difference ?

Thank's
Gary

Comments

• Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Gary,

I make my final crops after all of the adjustments. Then I save it as a final image (uncropped). That way I can crop it to the desired size now, but can also crop it to a different size later if needed. It will save you somewhere down the road.

Good luck.

Fred
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    I've read that it's best to make the crop first, then your other changes. Something to do with the amount of light in the shot, the relative amount of light and dark bits, and how you want to adjust things.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    I dont know if its best or not,but I always crop first.
    I keep the original file on back-up
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    When cropping a photo is it best to make your adjustments before or after a crop, does it make a difference ?

Thank's
    Gary
    Crop first, that way, you are setting your black spot and white spot (in levels or curves) with the part of the picture you are actually going to use.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    Yes that is what i have been doing
    Techman1 wrote:
    Gary,

I make my final crops after all of the adjustments. Then I save it as a final image (uncropped). That way I can crop it to the desired size now, but can also crop it to a different size later if needed. It will save you somewhere down the road.

Good luck.

Fred
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    Now i'm totally lostheadscratch.gif
    XO-Studios wrote:
    Crop first, that way, you are setting your black spot and white spot (in levels or curves) with the part of the picture you are actually going to use.

XO,
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    Is that on to a cd, new to photography even newer to computersne_nau.gif
    I dont know if its best or not,but I always crop first.
    I keep the original file on back-up
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Is that on to a cd, new to photography even newer to computersne_nau.gif
    Dvd and on external hd.
    Welcome to the new age:):
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Now i'm totally lostheadscratch.gif
    OK example

You have an original uncropped picture, but somewhere out of the area of interest (crop) there is a very light spot, and a very dark spot. Looking at a histogram, you look and see the histogram going all the way to black, and all the way to white, technically perfect. You do all your other adjustments as well, contrast, color, the works.

Now you make your crop, and all of a sudden the histogram doesn't go from one end to the other anymore, or has significantly changed. Part of what you discarded when you cropped previously showed in your histogram, and was part of the 'data' you did all the post processing on.

As such, I crop first, and then do my adjustments, so I only work with the pixel data that I actually want to keep.

Hope this helps, otherwise just PM me.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    That makes sense, Iwill try both ways and see how much difference there is between the two
    Thanks Gary
    XO-Studios wrote:
    OK example

You have an original uncropped picture, but somewhere out of the area of interest (crop) there is a very light spot, and a very dark spot. Looking at a histogram, you look and see the histogram going all the way to black, and all the way to white, technically perfect. You do all your other adjustments as well, contrast, color, the works.

Now you make your crop, and all of a sudden the histogram doesn't go from one end to the other anymore, or has significantly changed. Part of what you discarded when you cropped previously showed in your histogram, and was part of the 'data' you did all the post processing on.

As such, I crop first, and then do my adjustments, so I only work with the pixel data that I actually want to keep.

Hope this helps, otherwise just PM me.

XO,
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    That makes sense, Iwill try both ways and see how much difference there is between the two
    Thanks Gary
    Gary,

The amount of difference is going to be shot dependent. Some will have no difference, yet others could have a lot.

Sam