Dragon and a big wasp

BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Holy Macro
From the marsh yesterday - it was stormy and the light was low.

Constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated... :thumb

I think I barely missed the proper plane of focus on this guy... Maybe picked up the wings, when I'd rather have caught his eye. Full frame image. I was in too close to straighten the image in post without clipping off his hiney.

_MG_7471.jpg

This image was photographed from in a little closer, and I cropped the image in post for a vertical format.

_MG_7472.jpg

A fat furry wasp that was hanging out on a flower. He was patient and let me take lots of photos. He would have been a fun subject for an MP-E. :wink

_MG_7489.jpg

Getting in closer...

_MG_7494.jpg

Thanks for lookin' at my set. :ivar

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Lovely captures. Not sure about the second bug but suspect it's a clearwing moth.
    Suspect the framing on the large dragonfly could be better but have to admit I have dreadful trouble with these when they are hung up vegetation like this. I often try to take them on the diagonal . They do fit the frame better but just don't look quite right.
    Brian v.
  • sebthedog1sebthedog1 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    I really like the purple light caught in the wings. Nice set. :D
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Lovely captures. Not sure about the second bug but suspect it's a clearwing moth.
    Suspect the framing on the large dragonfly could be better but have to admit I have dreadful trouble with these when they are hung up vegetation like this. I often try to take them on the diagonal . They do fit the frame better but just don't look quite right.
    Brian v.

Thanks Brian - I will give diagonal framing a try. :D Also thank you for the ID! I did a little searching from your ID and yes, the moth appears to be 'Hornet Clearwing Moth - Sesia apiformis'. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    sebthedog1 wrote: »
    I really like the purple light caught in the wings. Nice set. :D

Thank you, Seb! :D
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Thank you, Seb! :D

Great shots.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 3, 2010
    great shots, great looking dragon. agree on composition,maybe better to leave alot more room around them.

love the clear wing, would be great to get a head shot with mpe:D