Options

Lightroom - Edit in Photoshop

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Finishing School
For some reason the "Edit in Photoshop" choice in my Lightroom Photo - Edit dropdown menu has suddenly greyed out, as have the other choices that refer to Photoshop. I have LR3 and CS5, Windows 7 (64 bit). Earlier today, I finally got around to removing CS3 from my computer, and the next time I went to edit, I noticed this problem. :scratch

I've set up the "Edit in Other Application" choice to take me to CS5, but something is not right. I've shut down and restarted.

Can someone help, or do I have to go to Adobe Support Hell.
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 2, 2010
    Can you start CS5 directly from its icon? If not, the uninstall of CS3 may have screwed something up and you need to re-install CS5 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    go to
    edit
    preferences
    external editing , and assign again the desired app's
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Can you start CS5 directly from its icon? If not, the uninstall of CS3 may have screwed something up and you need to re-install CS5 ne_nau.gif

Yes. It seems to load with no hitches.
    Thanks for the effortthumb.gif.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    go to
    edit
    preferences
    external editing , and assign again the desired app's

Thanks for the idea, and that's what I've done as a workaround. I've assigned CS5 as an "other application." The problem with that is that it's a band-aid. Photoshop is supposed to be the default editor, and there are other menu choices such as "Open as layers in photoshop," "Merge to panorama," Merge to HDR" etc, that are also greyed out.

Setting CS5 as an "Additional External Editor" does not solve the problem. :nah
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    OK, I found this on the Adobe website. Apparently it is a known problem, and has existed for some time. When you remove an older version, it effs up the file associations somehow.

Here's what one commenter had to say:

" Please fix this problem since having one desktop and one laptop makes this kind of difiicultly with expensive software unacceptable. It would do everyone good if Adobe would not remove file associations when a previous version of Photoshop is removed to save room on one's hard drive. There has got to be a better way!"

To which I can already add, well yeah, but I gotta deal with it now. Adobe's solution which "sometimes" works, is to deinstall Photoshop and reinstall :pissed
    John :
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    OK, I found this on the Adobe website. Apparently it is a known problem, and has existed for some time. When you remove an older version, it effs up the file associations somehow.

Here's what one commenter had to say:

" Please fix this problem since having one desktop and one laptop makes this kind of difiicultly with expensive software unacceptable. It would do everyone good if Adobe would not remove file associations when a previous version of Photoshop is removed to save room on one's hard drive. There has got to be a better way!"

To which I can already add, well yeah, but I gotta deal with it now. Adobe's solution which "sometimes" works, is to deinstall Photoshop and reinstall :pissed
    The challenge is that it's the old software's uninstaller that is messing up. So, Adobe could fix it for new versions going forward, but that won't make the problem go away for several years.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    The challenge is that it's the old software's uninstaller that is messing up. So, Adobe could fix it for new versions going forward, but that won't make the problem go away for several years.

Right. BUT, couldn't they develop a "patch" or something that you could download to fix it without completely de-&-re-installing? Given the history, I'm nervous about that too. Oh well, bitchin' & moanin' ain't gettin' it done.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Right. BUT, couldn't they develop a "patch" or something that you could download to fix it without completely de-&-re-installing?
    Don't hold your breath. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath. rolleyes1.gif

Naahhh . . . life's too short.
    De-&-re-installed. Problem solved.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    De-&-re-installed. Problem solved.
    thumb.gif