my daughter lauren

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 28, 2005 in People
i wanted to get some more pics of her before summer is over. its true what they say about summer, kids change a lot over summer.... :cry
also,its so hard to get a decent photo when the sun and shadow are so prevalent everywhere, but Geesh it shouldnt mean i have to not take any pics so i tried to work with it....

troy

33607882-L.jpg

33606150-L.jpg

33608791-L.jpg

33629013-L.jpg

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Beautiful Troy.I like all 3 and have a hard time on the last 2 which is best.thumb.gif
    Enjoy,enjoy.
    They grow very fast.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Were these taken with your 135 f/2L? If so you are sure mastering it now. Her eyes are amazingly sharp IMHO and it's hard to look at anything else. I like the last one the best because to me it is the most interesting pose of the three, plus it doesn't have the blow out on the top of her head like the other two. To me it looks like she was thinking intently about something with her head facing the gound and looked up as you took the shot. Would useing a fill flash help to even out the exposeure in a picture with such bright sunlight like this? I'm sure most parents would love to have pictures like these of their children while they are still young. Keep up the good work Troy.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    thank u John, but ive learned too early the bad news.... they grow too fast...

troy
    Beautiful Troy.I like all 3 and have a hard time on the last 2 which is best.thumb.gif
    Enjoy,enjoy.
    They grow very fast.
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    all very nice, love number 3 where she's looking down the best.
    edited August 26, 2005
    yes i used the 135, it was very bright sunlight, probably not the best time to take pictures but i cant wait for "sweet light" everytime i wanna take pics. So i delt with it.... didnt want to use a flash in fear of blowing out even more....
    i didnt get many keepers, but the ones i did get im happy with....
    i think i have A LOT TO LEARN still about taking pics of people...

gorillas were so much easier!!!

troy

gluwater wrote:
    Were these taken with your 135 f/2L? If so you are sure mastering it now. Her eyes are amazingly sharp IMHO and it's hard to look at anything else. I like the last one the best because to me it is the most interesting pose of the three, plus it doesn't have the blow out on the top of her head like the other two. To me it looks like she was thinking intently about something with her head facing the gound and looked up as you took the shot. Would useing a fill flash help to even out the exposeure in a picture with such bright sunlight like this? I'm sure most parents would love to have pictures like these of their children while they are still young. Keep up the good work Troy.

Nick
  • canon-5Dcanon-5D Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Really nice shots!! Like the third one the best......I would tend to use fill-flash even with bright sunlight. You'll be amazed at how much more POP the shots tend to have as well as having anyone who sees you using a flash at 3PM look at you as if you're insane!!
    edited August 27, 2005
    how do u control then for over exposure??

troy
    canon-5D wrote:
    Really nice shots!! Like the third one the best......I would tend to use fill-flash even with bright sunlight. You'll be amazed at how much more POP the shots tend to have as well as having anyone who sees you using a flash at 3PM look at you as if you're insane!!
    edited August 27, 2005
    windoze wrote:

troy
    I have a 1D and when I use my 420EX flash for fill, I set the flash for hi-speed sync and point it directly at the subject. I think (even though I don't!) you can set the FEC (flash exposure compensation) on the camera as well........seems to work for me really well. Of course you have to consider the focal length of the lens........I think the 135L would be fine. Here is a shot taken it bright sunlight, flash pointed at my daughter and you can see how all the unpleasent shadows are eliminated and the skin tones actually come out looking more natural.

35L-1D-JuliaB.jpg
    edited August 27, 2005
    btw, this as well as all of the pics you have posted are stunning!!!! Now i just got the other day the 580EX and at this point i have no idea when you say hi-speed sync what that evens means......ne_nau.gif
    so ill have to read and ask more questions... but obvioulsy you know what you are doing and my mother ( may she rest in peace ) taught me one good thing.. when you see someone doing something you like, do what they do!

BTW, thank you for taking even more time to respond with suggestions... i have a feeling its what "Baldy" intended this site for....

troy

canon-5D wrote:
    I have a 1D and when I use my 420EX flash for fill, I set the flash for hi-speed sync and point it directly at the subject. I think (even though I don't!) you can set the FEC (flash exposure compensation) on the camera as well........seems to work for me really well. Of course you have to consider the focal length of the lens........I think the 135L would be fine. Here is a shot taken it bright sunlight, flash pointed at my daughter and you can see how all the unpleasent shadows are eliminated and the skin tones actually come out looking more natural.

35L-1D-JuliaB.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    i wanted to get some more pics of her before summer is over. its true what they say about summer, kids change a lot over summer.... :cry
    also,its so hard to get a decent photo when the sun and shadow are so prevalent everywhere, but Geesh it shouldnt mean i have to not take any pics so i tried to work with it....

troy

33608791-S.jpg

holy moly this one is fantastic!

you did fine on the others, considering the light - any pics like this in bright sun you should be very proud of :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 27, 2005
    I like the third shot too. It's fantastic.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 27, 2005
    I am not familiar with the 580 flash but it probably has a setting on the back that looks a little like a lightning flash (?).......switch this on and the flash will fire but not at full-power. Depending on your camera body, it kicks in when you go past certain shutter speeds. I don't know too much of the technical side of things either......just kept practicing until I found something that works!
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    windoze wrote:

troy
    The newer flashes (like my SB-800 for Nikon, but also the dedicated Canons) will control the flash output to be fill only. Just try it, you will be surprised how well it works. On my D70 it even does amazing things with just the small on-board as a fill flash.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    Now i just got the other day the 580EX and at this point i have no idea when you say hi-speed sync what that evens means......ne_nau.gif
    I haven't used it yet but this is how you turn the high speed sync on.
    33758712-M.jpg
    Hope this helps.

Between you and Andy taking shot of your daughter, she's going to think she's a model pretty soon, better watch out Troy.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Your shots look great as is.

As far as the flash goes, I would think set the camera to spot meter and meter your subject, put the flash on TTL and the camera should use the right amount of flash to light your subject, but the flash wont reach the background as much (unless it is close) Your subject should be properly exposed and the background should be darker unless it is bright sky.