Boston City Lights

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Landscapes
Here are a few from a week ago from my four hours in Boston at night. C&C always appreciated. We worked from about 7p to 11p when I stopped and went from the Aquarium area along the Greenway in Boston to down around Fan Pier.

#1 Customs House at Sunset

950909067_HSPsc-L.jpg

#2 Carousel at Sunset

950909625_5mBxp-L.jpg

#3 JOY - Activity around the jump fountain

952917157_wLn8H-L.jpg

#4 Liquid Fireworks

956308946_RnXba-L.jpg

#5 Back Across the Harbor

956307462_XY7Bf-L.jpg

#6 From Fan Pier

950913604_sfjkM-L.jpg

Others can be found here...

Thanks for looking...

Comments

• HaveCameraWillTravelHaveCameraWillTravel Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Here are a few from a week ago from my four hours in Boston at night. C&C always appreciated. We worked from about 7p to 11p when I stopped and went from the Aquarium area along the Greenway in Boston to down around Fan Pier.

Well done! Especially the last two.

My only critique is that in #6 you've got the post there to fill in the blankness of the water in that area, but its top obscures the waterline (unless something really bright is behind it), and the waterline bisects the image at the midline.

#5, I think is the better composition of the last two, and my favorite in the set. But overall, nice work and vivid colors, good white balance, focus, and exposure. Did you use HDR for those? And I'll have to check out Fan Pier myself now. Never thought of that location, but what a view. I also liked the fountain shots and the children playing in the water. Not something you see often in night shots of Boston.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I understand the separation issue in #6. Couldn't see it at the time because it was so dark but I decided I liked the result well enough I was willing to overlook some technical issues.

None of the shots are tone mapped HDR. #2 uses two separate exposures that are hand blended, but the others are single exposures that are adjusted principally in Photoshop.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 3, 2010
    Very nice, Tom! I'm originally from Mass, and have a lot of respect for anybody who can make it look that good! :D

#5 rocks my world. Love the cloud movement radiating over the city. #2 is my second favorite because of the killer sunset which is balanced very nicely against the lights of the carousel.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Nice job Tom. Ain't Fan Pier fun??
    E
    edited August 4, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! I'm originally from Mass, and have a lot of respect for anybody who can make it look that good! :D

#5 rocks my world. Love the cloud movement radiating over the city. #2 is my second favorite because of the killer sunset which is balanced very nicely against the lights of the carousel.

Thanks Joel. I liked how #5 came out. You get some nice effects at night with the 30 sec exposures. And the perspective adjustment helped emphasize the clouds.

I also liked how #2 came out, but I'm somewhat subjective. I've been leaning more towards hand blending lately to help maintain some of the mystery in the shadows.
    edited August 4, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Nice job Tom. Ain't Fan Pier fun??
    E
    Yeah, it's a great place. #5 and 6 are a homage to some of your shots from before.