Round #3 with smoke

gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This will be my last smoke pic post...I promise! :rofl

I think I got the hang of it and decided to play around with PP on them...learned a bit with CS5 along the way. I'm pretty happy with my progress, considering I first tried this less than a week ago with a handful of matches.

957999309_f4qvy-M.jpg

956500661_98xGf-M.jpg

3. I know...selective color...(insert collective groan here)...but it'll be my first and last of that. :deal

956563655_aD2gC-L.jpg
Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Very cool.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    I think they are actually quite cool. If I go searching, will I find out what you did in another topic?
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    I think they are actually quite cool. If I go searching, will I find out what you did in another topic?

I haven't posted anywhere how I actually did the shots, but honestly, the setup is so cheap and messy I would be embarrassed to show pics of it!

The background holder is literally a shipping tube from EZ Prints with a piece of black construction paper taped to it. I put the incense on a glass plate below that and a single flash off to camera-right. I used another piece of black paper to make a snoot to keep the flash off the background, set the flash to 1:2 or 1:1 and shot away (no tripod...easier to control the angles then and adjust as the smoke moves around). :D

I kept enough light in the room so my 7D could auto focus on the smoke, ~f/11 on the shots @ ISO 200.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Very cool idea and great results! Thanks for sharing the process. Might have to give it a try at some point.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Yep. Sounds like a nice project for this winter or a rainy day!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Thanks, it does sound "easy" but I think you still have a cool couple of photos there! I do like the one with the crazy colors!