AEB in low light at small apertures

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Technique
I have this weird problem with my camera -- I even sent it to Nikon to "fix" it but now realize it occurs regardless. Here's what happens. At very low light, if I try to do a 5-shot bracket at f/16 for example, in low light it will only do 3 or 4 of the bracketed shots.

If I lower the aperture to f/4 it will complete all 5 shots.

Some times if its *really* low light, it will take one shot and not any more in the bracket.

Does anyone know what causes this?

I have a D700 btw. Thanks.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 3, 2010
    You can't have a shutter speed longer than 30 seconds without going to bulb.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    You can't have a shutter speed longer than 30 seconds without going to bulb.

Interesting, so the camera calculates the time then cancels the operation basically. Good to know, thanks.
    edited August 3, 2010
    You will just have to shoot your brackets by hand, when one of the needed shutter speeds will be longer than 30 secs, using the bulb setting, a remote shutter release, and a good tripod.

You can then capture the bracketed frames needed for your hdr image. You were already shooting with a tripod, weren't you?

edited August 4, 2010
    Yes, I always shoot with a tripod. Thanks!
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    If you are shooting on aperture priority and your shutter speed is set at f16 there would only be one more stop below that (f22) on your lens, so it would only be able to shoot one stop under and one over.
    edited August 4, 2010
    bmoreshooter -- in aperture priority the aperture doesn't change, just the shutter speed.
    edited August 4, 2010
    WHether you shoot in Av, or Manual, AEB auto exposure bracketing alters the shutter speed, not the aperture. The aperture will be varied only in Tv - shutter preferred mode.

You REALLY do not want the aperture to vary, as your depth of field will vary with different apertures, and your HDR software will have more difficulty merging your frames because the depth of field of the different exposures will not allow the images to align as well.