marsh mish mash

BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Holy Macro
Morning in the marsh. Most photos are shot with 100L + 37mm extension (stacked tubes).

For a while I had backed off of using much extension as I wasn't getting sharp images, so this set is a test to see if I'm better schooled for it.

C&C is welcome and very helpful.

Damsel with nice muted colors.

_MG_7591.jpg

Dragon with a wounded wing. Gotta figure out how to avoid making hotspots on their eyes.

_MG_7612.jpg

Fishing spider?

_MG_7620.jpg

Big and terrifying flapping thing! Glad he was mellow and didn't move.

_MG_7633.jpg

Jumper with a big prize.

_MG_7644.jpg

And a cool little green waspy guy. Just had to trust AF and fire away as he was wiggly.

_MG_7661.jpg

Thanks for checking out my set! :clap

- Michelle

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 3, 2010
    have to say i think these and your last dragon post are your best shots to date clap.gifclap.gif

the spider looks like a long jaw orb web spider.

love the bee, maybe needs a little levels correction . looks a little flat.
    phil
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback on this post and all the others, Phil! You are right, I brought up the levels a little on the green wasp and it looks snappier. Also thanks for the spider ID. :-)
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    I love the green wasp/bee. Excellent composition and yeah it's very snappy!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    LOvely series of captures!
    your Big and terrifying flapping thing is a cranefly (totally harmless)
    Brian v.
  • clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Nice sharp images B.C. I too have been trying to get in too close and which has ended up with alot of throw-aways, even some that I have posted here in this forum and probably should not have due to O.O.F.,but only do so for critique of the other aspects of the photo. I get so wrapped up in seeing all these great magnified images these wonderful people share in this forum and I can't resist to try the same. We need to learn to crawl before we can walk.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Lovely collection of images. The 'jumper' is the the zebra spider (salticus scenicus). It sits in wait for a potential meal then leaps on it. It has two large forward facing eyes (much bigger than its other eyes) which it uses to calculate the distance to the prey and allows it to accurately leap.

I have been going through a learning curve, with a lot of help from people on here. Macro shooting is not as straight foreward and lighting has been my biggest problem.

The Crane fly is my favourite of your series
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    I love the green wasp/bee. Excellent composition and yeah it's very snappy!

Thanks! :D
    LOvely series of captures!
    your Big and terrifying flapping thing is a cranefly (totally harmless)
    Brian v.

Thanks Brian! Appreciate the ID, and the assurance it's not going to pick me up and carry me off. rolleyes1.gif
    clicketf3 wrote: »
    Nice sharp images B.C. I too have been trying to get in too close and which has ended up with alot of throw-aways, even some that I have posted here in this forum and probably should not have due to O.O.F.,but only do so for critique of the other aspects of the photo. I get so wrapped up in seeing all these great magnified images these wonderful people share in this forum and I can't resist to try the same. We need to learn to crawl before we can walk.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Clicket. Yes, we just have to keep at it, and the C&C is immensely helpful. I know what you mean about posting images that aren't great, but then when things start to click it's so :ivar
    Lovely collection of images. The 'jumper' is the the zebra spider (salticus scenicus). It sits in wait for a potential meal then leaps on it. It has two large forward facing eyes (much bigger than its other eyes) which it uses to calculate the distance to the prey and allows it to accurately leap.

I have been going through a learning curve, with a lot of help from people on here. Macro shooting is not as straight foreward and lighting has been my biggest problem.

The Crane fly is my favourite of your series

Thank you, Peter, and thanks for the spider ID & info! I wonder if he managed to haul the bug up onto the leaf he was on. :D

It is very nice to look at your photos and learn from your work, too. thumb.gif