Options

Ernest Haas, movement, color, would he

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 19, 2004 in Technique
place in our assignment, our Challenge. He was a Magnum Photographer in the last half of the 20th century. Or that was when I saw, and loved, pictures of his photograpy. He can be googled easily. One of his photos, not my favorite, but certainly remembered, is Bull Fight. I love the way he shows movement. I am going to study further, if my PC holds up. ginger

An example of Ernest Haas' work caught my "eye":

5276028-M.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    absoulutely! here are some of my faves..
    ginger_55 wrote:
    place in our assignment, our Challenge. He was a Magnum Photographer in the last half of the 20th century. Or that was when I saw, and loved, pictures of his photograpy. He can be googled easily. One of his photos, not my favorite, but certainly remembered, is Bull Fight. I love the way he shows movement. I am going to study further, if my PC holds up. ginger

all photos by haas

5275240-L.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Didn't know him. Love his work. Thank you, Ginger and Andy.

Just in case you thought that he always used motion blur.

haas4pc_th.jpg

haas1pc_th.jpg

haas3pc_th.jpg

haas6pc_th.jpg

And not even when there was motion to blur:

haas9pc_th.jpg

haas8pc_th.jpg

haas5pc_th.jpg

Interesting, it looks like he printed HUGE. I found these on the site of a museum and the originals are all like 40x60.

I love how he uses color!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Response to Rutt and Haas' photos
    Gosh thanks, those are gorgeous. Wonder how he got the color of the deer.
    The last photo, the one of the wave, well I was thinking it was the only one that showed movement, but I think at least one other did, too. The flowers were taken the year before he died, I do remember that. It seemed that he used less blur after the 1950s, but I was studying this stuff close enough to then to have burned it in my brain. ginger, the old one
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    The ripples show movement, don't you think? In the most subtle profound sort of way...

And gosh, you couldn't have more movement than the entire side of a mountain blowing off. Wonder what was involved with getting that one? A very high degree of difficulty, on a par with HCB's shots of Ghandi's funeral in terms of how hard to get.
    If not now, when?