Options

Thunderbird Air Show

marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited August 31, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here's a link to a VERY impressive shot taken at the USAF Thunderbird Air Show in Chicago on Aug 20th. It shows the two planes making contact.

Thunderbirds Photo by C Ware

The guy who took this is someone that my husband knows through playing BF2 online - he used a Canon D20 with a 2.8 70-200 zoom lens. Thought you folks might enjoy the photograph.

I'll post some of my own shots soon - I've been on vacation :):

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    eek7.gif Wow, I read about this happening last Saturday but never saw a photo of it. Excellent capture, he says he has 2 more frames after that one too. Glad nobody was hurt!

I am taking my son to the Westfield Mass air show tomorrow and the Thunderbirds are performing as scheduled. Let's hope nothing like this happens again.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Mary, that's a fantastic shot! I would imagine the AF folks would be extremely interested in it, assuming they don't already have a similar image. It would help them analyze what went wrong that day. Might be worth trying to contact them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    Just got back from the show, all 6 planes made it through intact and untouched! :D
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Fabulous shot. But now I'm confused. Did they touch or didn't they?ne_nau.gif
    Contacting the military is a great idea. Especially if they are unsure. [although photos can be decieving]

DJ-S1 wrote:
    Just got back from the show, all 6 planes made it through intact and untouched! :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    Fabulous shot. But now I'm confused. Did they touch or didn't they?ne_nau.gif
    Contacting the military is a great idea. Especially if they are unsure. [although photos can be decieving]
    The reports I read said the planes touched at the Chicago air and boat show of a weekend ago. The Thunderbirds abandoned the rest of their demonstration schedule in Chicago to figure out why. The missile rail on one jet (perhaps the one that appears to be touching the tailplane?) was knocked off during their maneuvers.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    Sorry to confuse you. The "incident" happened on Aug 20th. I went to an airshow yesterday (Aug 27th) where the Thunderbirds flew with no "incidents".
  • Options
    PJ-01PJ-01 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    The reports I read said the planes touched at the Chicago air and boat show of a weekend ago. The Thunderbirds abandoned the rest of their demonstration schedule in Chicago to figure out why. The missile rail on one jet (perhaps the one that appears to be touching the tailplane?) was knocked off during their maneuvers.
    Take a look at this pic I took, it shows the broken missle rail in mid-air. When I took the series of pics (I have 8 of them) I did not know they touched, I saw a splash in the water and then heard that something fell off one of the planes. I did not know until I reviewed the pics that night, that I actually recorded the entire incident.