I need some advice....One Year Old Photo Shoot.

MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited August 5, 2010 in People
I have a shoot coming up with a baby turning one. I have looked on flickr, google and various other places and I can't really come up with any good ideas for this shoot. Any advice???

Alittle background. The baby turning one is a little boy and the mother is thinking them she is wanting them done on a golf course by her mom and Dads. I suggested a cake smash but I have yet to hear back from her on that one. If for some reason she turns down the cake smash, what are some poses/tips for photographing a one year old boy? Maybe ask if there is a play ground somewhere near there? Should I bring some props? If so what/

Also, could I pull this off with just one umbrella and a speedlight or should I try and go for natural light or two umbrella's? ANY advice is helpful. This is my first time with any baby photography.

Comments

• MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Bump.....Anyone??ne_nau.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Well, I'd say you can find enough inspiration on flickr, and just by googling around a bit. .... sooooo, not sure what sort of posing ideas you need?

When photographing babies / children, make sure to go down on their eye level ... I'd say go with natural light, a 1 year old will run around a lot (I think), ... will for sure not sit still for very long. So bring a lot of patience ... and pray for good mood :Dthumb.gif
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Get lots of rest and be well fed. You'll be on the move constantly. And be prepared to spend most of your time on the floor. They aree such fun to work with.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited August 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I know nothing about year old babies and I have no idea what to expect with this shoot. Since I have only been a Dad now for 8 days.
    Any more tips you ladies have would be awesome!!!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    If your on a golf course you are going to need a flash of some sorts. A more hefty one than on camera if you are in bright daylight situation. How about riding the golf bag.........baby on green with heads of clubs radiating out from him and your doing a downward shot from above. Some folks have cute covers for the club heads they could be used. Some bags also have a stand for the bag that folds out to lean the bag without falling over. You could put the child in that triangle area and it would provide a slight amt of shade. Surround by a bunch of golf balls and other equip. Peeking into the cup where the ball is hit into. etc.....good luck.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    I always suggest having a couple of the child's favourite things, whether it be toys, blankie, etc. to interact with just in case.

And yes, as has been said, be prepared to get down and crawl around on the floor/ground.

I like doing outdoor where you can use a lot of natural light and maybe some fill flash depending on time of day, where you are, etc. Little kids love to explore. Quite often shots of kids just doing what kids do naturally are really nice. If the child is more shy, I'll back off a bit and use a longer zoom until he/she is more comfortable with me being around.

And don't forget to have fun with it! :)
    edited August 5, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    If your on a golf course you are going to need a flash of some sorts. A more hefty one than on camera if you are in bright daylight situation. How about riding the golf bag.........baby on green with heads of clubs radiating out from him and your doing a downward shot from above. Some folks have cute covers for the club heads they could be used. Some bags also have a stand for the bag that folds out to lean the bag without falling over. You could put the child in that triangle area and it would provide a slight amt of shade. Surround by a bunch of golf balls and other equip. Peeking into the cup where the ball is hit into. etc.....good luck.

This would be awesome but, niether one of the parents play golf. I guess I should have told you guys that.11doh.gif I am not for sure why she wants them there. I think I am going to try and suggest a local park in the area. I have taken the wife out a few times for some shoots there and I know my way around the place pretty well. Thanks for all the advice!