Options

Are Bay Photo Shipping Rates High?

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hey Guys,

I chose to use Bay Photo as my image processor. I went through
a dummy buy on my site, all the way to checkout, for a 24 X 36 print.
I was surprised to get a shipping rate of $12.95.
I do realize that Bay Photo is a premier Processor for pros and they ship prints flat.

Is that about the GOING rate for shipping, for the average photography site?

If these are the going rates, then fine. I guess I was not aware of that. So, I'd just really like to have some logical justification in the event a client questions it.

Thank you all VERY much for your input.

Tom

www.tompotterphotography.com
Tom Potter
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    I would say the shipping for an item that size is reasonable. You will be very impressed with your packing from Bay Photo. Worth every penny of the shipping charge on a print that large.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I would say the shipping for an item that size is reasonable. You will be very impressed with your packing from Bay Photo. Worth every penny of the shipping charge on a print that large.

Cool Mitchell - Thanks - Appreciate the reply
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Although, if you bought it direct from Bay Photo through ROES it would cost $1.50 for 2 day UPS... hmmm...
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Although, if you bought it direct from Bay Photo through ROES it would cost $1.50 for 2 day UPS... hmmm...
    Is that for a print packed flat, of the size he's mentioning, Tim? Just asking... I don't know.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Is that for a print packed flat, of the size he's mentioning, Tim? Just asking... I don't know.

I think it's that flat rate for any order over $12, which a 24x36 print would be. And everything I've got from them has been packaged flat and ready for anything short of a direct nuclear blast. I ordered a 24x30 and a 20x30 canvas (at the same time) and they came in a box that was about 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 feet in dimension with many layers of cushioning and protective packaging inside... $1.50, two day UPS.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    I think it's that flat rate for any order over $12, which a 24x36 print would be. And everything I've got from them has been packaged flat and ready for anything short of a direct nuclear blast. I ordered a 24x30 and a 20x30 canvas (at the same time) and they came in a box that was about 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 feet in dimension with many layers of cushioning and protective packaging inside... $1.50, two day UPS.

Hey Tim - Thanks for the input. So, if I used Roes, how would, or could I, institute that into my SmugMug site? Let me put it another way. Can you suggest, in a real-world example, how it would work, if I used Roes? Wouldn't I need to place the order via Roes?

Thx,

Tom
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Tom Potter wrote: »
    Hey Tim - Thanks for the input. So, if I used Roes, how would, or could I, institute that into my SmugMug site? Let me put it another way. Can you suggest, in a real-world example, how it would work, if I used Roes? Wouldn't I need to place the order via Roes?

Thx,

Tom

Yes, you have to do it yourself, independently of your smugmug site. Which is what I do for most things. Basically it means more profit for you, but also more work for you as well. Which is a tradeoff I'm currently willing to make. It also allows me to get my clients orders gift boxed and I can order things that aren't offered through smugmug (like a canvas with solid color borders rather than a wrap... I really wish smugmug would add this to the catalog. There are many images that I just framed to close to work as a wrap).
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Yes, you have to do it yourself, independently of your smugmug site. Which is what I do for most things. Basically it means more profit for you, but also more work for you as well. Which is a tradeoff I'm currently willing to make. It also allows me to get my clients orders gift boxed and I can order things that aren't offered through smugmug (like a canvas with solid color borders rather than a wrap... I really wish smugmug would add this to the catalog. There are many images that I just framed to close to work as a wrap).

Gotcha - Cool Tim - Appreciate the input. Sometimes you just have to go the extra mile to get it done right. :O)
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Tim; I would also like to offer items from Bay that are not offered on SM. How do you handle those orders? I'm setting up my SM site for the first time and like the ease of ordering and hoped it would make life a bit easier for me and my clients. Prior to this, I emailed proofs, and once selection was made, collected via PayPal. I then ordered prints via WHCC and had them drop shipped. A nice Smug-mug site seemed a bit more professional but it does eliminate a lot of the items I was previously able to offer.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Hinson wrote: »
    Tim; I would also like to offer items from Bay that are not offered on SM. How do you handle those orders? I'm setting up my SM site for the first time and like the ease of ordering and hoped it would make life a bit easier for me and my clients. Prior to this, I emailed proofs, and once selection was made, collected via PayPal. I then ordered prints via WHCC and had them drop shipped. A nice Smug-mug site seemed a bit more professional but it does eliminate a lot of the items I was previously able to offer.

I have the client email me with the photos they want and in what size/products and then collect payment from them in person, order them myself, have them delivered to my house, check them to make sure everything is good, and then deliver them in person. It's pretty clunky, I have to admit, but it works out for me so far. The way you used to do it, with paypal and drop shipping, would streamline everything, but I like to be able to check everything out before it goes to the customer so I haven't gone to drop shipping yet. And I'd rather hand them a nice gift box than force them to break out the jaws of life to pry their way into Bay Photo's bulletproof packaging. Although, as I'm getting more work, and clients who live farther away from me, I'll probably have to start doing it at some point.