Options

Way Too Early Engagement Shoot

EyeCandyEyeCandy Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Weddings
Long time lurker, first time photo poster.

One day while enjoying a few laughs with my wife over our 7yr-old son's infatuation with his summer babysitter, the thought occurs to me that she'd make a perfect amateur model. Long story short I offer her the chance to get some free pictures taken and extend the offer to 1-2 of her friends. Best case scenario, I get to add a few shots to my portfolio. She elects to bring her boyfriend of 6yrs (yup, you read that right!) They've been together since middle-school. Anyway, C&C is much appreciated, I'll hang up and listen...

Background - Early Sunday morning, deserted town square in small town TN. Photos taken with a D40 and cheap 55-200mm lens.

956527195_DZrkg-L.jpg

2. The sun did most of the work but I also used a gold reflector for fill.
956527661_feqmZ-XL.jpg

3. The boyfriend wasn't a big fan of PDA so it took him a while to warm up.
956531788_R9FAA-XL.jpg

4. Way more comfortable on his guitar
956532309_6cbLd-XL.jpg

5. I thought these 12ft oak doors had potential but straight out of camera they were kinda blah.
956533270_Vgtrk-XL.jpg

6. High key attempt
956536538_2nX6r-XL.jpg

7. Still a little tense
956536820_v29CP-XL.jpg

8. I cut off her toes :whip
956541036_Ams6Z-XL.jpg

956641150_Lbiq7-XL.jpg

10. He wasn't comfortable at all in the above pic so I said something kinda off the wall to break up the tension. Much better result.
956548039_cDrJt-XL.jpg

11. She's a looker...
956549017_iriy9-XL.jpg

(Continued below)

Comments

• Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Nice photos. That looks a little like Franklin (my wife and I were married at Carnton).
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    A few more:

12. Boyfriend served as my reflector holder. He was determined to hit her with the high beam instead of just a glancing blow. Still managed to get a few keepers.
    956554902_CN22r-XL.jpg

956554222_HdXYA-XL.jpg

956559430_Znevx-XL.jpg

956563575_4RWiA-XL.jpg

16. Came up with this one on the walk back to the car...
    956571537_RcmGx-XL.jpg

956573768_KffGE-XL.jpg

18. And finally
    956581610_CgUDb-XL.jpg

Ironically I was processing these on my laptop while waiting for my son's baseball practice to end and one of the moms came by to look over my shoulder. She informed me that my sitter was in fact this year's prom queen. As a dad I got a sick sense of satisfaction in that my son's first crush was local royalty. wings.gif Thanks for looking!
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Not far from Franklin. It's actually Murfreesboro.
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Great set of photos, I think some of them are a bit to orange and colored for me. Although I am currently in the "test my post processing limits" stage so I find I often step over the line! Good job on getting them out and getting some practice!
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    EyeCandy wrote: »
    . As a dad I got a sick sense of satisfaction in that my son's first crush was local royalty. wings.gif Thanks for looking!

The day of My son's First birthday, I was doing some promo shots for a stripper. My wife brought my son to the studio as we were going to lunch when I finished. The the girl had a severe maternal streak had to have a hold of him and clearly he was quite taken with the bright, spangly costume she was almost wearing.

I got some great shots of them together which I thought he'd love in later years. While showing them to some friend at his party a few days later, I got worried when a very " straight" friend of my wife's started calling for me and saying she wanted to talk to me about the photos.

I walked over and she asked what I thought I was doing getting him a stripper for his 1st birthday? Before I could say a word, she called me an idiot and said it was his 21st I was supposed to get him a stripper for, not his first birthday!
    Much to everyones hushed tension, she thought the pics were awesome and her comment cracked everyone up.

I said the girl offered to come to his 21st and do a routine with her walking frame as long as he liked grey haired women with false teeth. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    Prezwoodz wrote: »
    Great set of photos, I think some of them are a bit to orange and colored for me. Although I am currently in the "test my post processing limits" stage so I find I often step over the line! Good job on getting them out and getting some practice!
    I was concerned that I may have gone a bit too rich with the colors. My wife and I are both Volunteers so orange is redily embraced in our household. I'll give it another go with more muted toning. Thanks for the feedback.
    </PRE>
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Some images are bugging me due to cut off limbs, orangeness or crookiness, but overall good shoot.

#16, had me go "huh?"
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    I really like the tones and composition in #5.