Options

Advertising Portrait Photography

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited August 5, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm trying to finally formalize this all, and I think with a new camera, and a new attitude, I'm ready to take this more seriously, and bring in more clients, instead of dealing with them here and there, as opportunities arise. I want to actively bring them in now.

How does one advertise (cheaply to begin with) portrait photography? I was thinking of making a flyer, but what kind of businesses would I ask to put them up in. What other ways of marketing is there?

I'm going to put up an ad on craigslist, and just hold firm on my pricing so I am not forced into price battles.

I've just never done this before, I've always depended on word of mouth, but now moving back across the country, losing all my clientelle, I'm at a loss on how to build it up again, since the first time around was just happy little accidents, and nothing planned.

I've offered old friends here to shoot their families for free in exchange for uploading their photos to a separate photo album on their Facebook page, and giving me the credit, and pointing people my way (you'll be surprised how much business I got this way in NY) if anyone asks about the pics.

What else can I do?
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Flyers can go up any where there is a bulletin board---- Borders books, Grocery stores, Health food stores........churches.........do a press release for newspaper, tv and radio............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    ya, but where would flyers have most impact? i dont want to waste paper and ink just sticking them anywhere and everywhere.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Contact the local high school and see if you can get an insert placed in their Senior packet.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    anyone else with any input? or are these industry secrets I'm asking for?
    -=Ren B.=-

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Dionysus wrote: »
    anyone else with any input? or are these industry secrets I'm asking for?

I wouldn't say it has much to do with industry secerets, more like industry ignorance!

If you want to build and promote a business then you should be studying advertising, marketing and business because that is the root of promotion and growth of all business and whatever any industry uses is an adaptation of that.

First and foremost, I understand the need for low cost marketing.
    That said, i think you are making a rod for your own back with craigslist ads and flyers on bulletin boards.
    These are low cost methods that can be very successful in attracting low value clients who will most likley reccomend you to their similarly low spending friends.

The problem with this demographic is they spend little, complain a lot and want everything for nothing. Go up a level and you find the people spend a lot more at least, thank you for everything you do and are appreciative of your time and effort.

The real trouble is once you establish yourself in any way with the low buck clientele, you are then in a battle to up your prices to something worthwhile and if and when you do, you have essentially taken on a whole new market anyway. Much better to put in a few more hard yards at the beginning and only have to start your business once and with the right clients.

This requires a think smart rather than do whats easy approach but can be done if you are prepared to study up a bit and think outside the box.
    I did a charity golf day a few months back and sold prints to the players. It wasn't a failure, but it certainly didn't return what I would want to do it every day. I donated a prize for a family portrait shoot to the charity fundraiser Auction and the organizers really went out of their way to promote me and get my name out there. I have booked 4 shoots from that so far and while i have only shot 1 sitting from it, the order was enough that if the others buy nothing, I'll still say it was a worth while exercise. Given the overall very well heeled nature of the charity supporters, I think I'm going to be real happy with what i get out of this when it's all said and done plus with a bit of luck, I'll pick up some referrals along the way.

I think there are some things that are good to advertise on bulletin boards like the services of plumbers and tradesmen etc and if you want to sell your lawnmower but photography should be presented as a service/ product of some status and elegance no matter what price you charge. If your clients will buy these services off a bulletin board, then they have a certain price expectation (and also a low "respect") in mind and I'll bet it's not the one you would find ideal.

I'm sure that there are many " I got a camera for Christmas" shooters also advertising on bulletin boards and on other cheap looking initiatives so straight off you are also going to put yourself in a market where you have a lot of competition all vying for business on the worst possible level....PRICE!
    No good getting lots of business you don't make money from.

Much better to promote your product through a means that reaches the level of clients you want to attract and does your service justice not make it look like something cheap and disposable.

One suggestion would be to go see some local established businesses that are upmarket and well known in your area such as hair dressers, beauticians etc where women congregate as they are usually the principal initiators of the purchase of this type of product. I have had great success with an idea I dreamt up where basically I donate my services to the business whom in turn give it to their customers as a " Thank you for being our client) deal. This gives them incentive to effectively promote me and gets the heads through the door which I can work the back end $$ from there with no trouble at all.

I figure If I have 10 people referring me and each one sends me only 1 client per month, then at the average worth of each client, it's already a good month.

I know a lot of people can't be bothered looking into marketing, sales and business and they rather do something they feel is safe and easy like flyers on notice boards but thats the beauty of putting in a little more effort and thought... so few other people do and that's what make your efforts even more effective and worthwhile.

Look up Guerrilla Marketing ( NOT the animal Gorilla! ) and you will find a lot of low buck, creative, effective ideas for getting the ball rolling.

Good luck with it.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    awesome,thanks for the input. With craigslist, like I said, I was going to hold firm on my prices, so I don't go into price battles and end up lowballing.

That's a good idea w/ the beauty shops. Targeting where women normally congregate is practical. I'll have to ask my wife for all the secret women places to tap into.

What places would be a good way to tap into the child photography areas?

And how does one get into high school publications for senior portraits.
    -=Ren B.=-

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Secrete women places: Beauty shops, already mentioned, tanning salons, nail salons.........in my area i used bulletin boards to get started....
    However the bulletin boardss I mentioned were not in low income areas...........I have gotten several high society weddings off just placing
    B-cards on a bulletin board in a health food store.........I would not place my cards or fliers on a discount stores bulletin board....several
    people on this forum used Google Adwords to get started in their businesses and then when it took off they did not need to use the Google ads any longer.

God Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Dionysus wrote: »
    awesome,thanks for the input. With craigslist, like I said, I was going to hold firm on my prices, so I don't go into price battles and end up lowballing.

That's a good idea w/ the beauty shops. Targeting where women normally congregate is practical. I'll have to ask my wife for all the secret women places to tap into.

What places would be a good way to tap into the child photography areas?

And how does one get into high school publications for senior portraits.

To tap into child photography, you may consider doing some small free shoots for local children's clothing stores, dentists, hair stylists, party venues, and other businesses which cater to kids, in excange for displaying the photos in their lobbies. People notice wall displays, and if your logo is on the photos and your cards are available somewhere close, you will likely get calls. I would really limit the "free shoot" stuff, and do small shoots for just a few select businesses, and then only until you have established a few displays in prime spots. If you do great work, word-of-mouth usually begins to snowball after you have done a few paid shoots.

Also, private schools generally need class photos, sports photos, etc and may be happy to have a photographer to work with. Generally, the parents of private school children tend to be a higher-spending demographic.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.