Suggestion for Gallery styles

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited June 21, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I would like to see you have a gallery style I could select where customers could only see a small version of the pictures (ie 250x... pixels) . I have encountered some people printing the whole screen with the picture. Now I only upload scaled down pics and I wouldn't feel right in making these printable since they aren't high enough res to make a decent print.

I have even seen people print the pic with proof across it and post it up somewhere. This really upset me and now I only post low res pics that at most are 2 inches wide so if they print it, its so small that hopefully the cheap bastards will pay for the print.

Anyway. Just some feedback.
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 20, 2004
    bham wrote:
    I would like to see you have a gallery style I could select where customers could only see a small version of the pictures (ie 250x... pixels) . I have encountered some people printing the whole screen with the picture. Now I only upload scaled down pics and I wouldn't feel right in making these printable since they aren't high enough res to make a decent print.

I have even seen people print the pic with proof across it and post it up somewhere. This really upset me and now I only post low res pics that at most are 2 inches wide so if they print it, its so small that hopefully the cheap bastards will pay for the print.

Anyway. Just some feedback.
    We are currently kicking ideas around for a brand new gallery style that will limit the size of images that can be viewed. (We are going to leave medium we think, but restrict Large). Some other ideas we are kicking around for the new style is an added information section so that you can sell your products better or give even more information about the products. We also want to have a more obvious "buy photos" button to encourage people to buy prints. The idea behind this particular style is to encourage people to purchase photos... and therefor is more of a commerce style than our typical "sharing" styles.

That being said, you are going to have a hard time selling photos to people who are cheap enough that they are content with printing out a really low resolution image that is obscured with PROOF. But we can at least help you convince the less extreme cheapskates to purchase your images. :)

-Ben
    smugmug.com
    Smug since 2003
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Ben that sounds good. Just another way to accomplish the same thing might to be put the option in the customize gallery, where you currently have the choice of showing or not showing original size, maybe the same for large, medium.

Yes I agree with your point about the super cheap people. And I like the idea about having a gallery more for sharing and others more for selling. Keep up the great work.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me