Options

Stock photography, buying & selling

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited August 9, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I am assembling a document required for a job interview process. I want some nice images to use in it, so hit upon the notion of buying stock photos as the best way to get something nice, quickly. No, it is not photography job, it is a position in industry, unrelated to photography. I could take good photos myself, but have no access to the needed subject matter under these circumstances.

I have looked at some stock photo sites and discover quite a wide range of prices. I also realize in looking at them that their photos are coming from individuals like us. Duh. You know that already, I am sure.

Questions. I need only 3-6 images. Do you recommend a best source in terms of cost?

To those of you selling photos to such companies, who do you like and why?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,200 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Usually, the price you pay depends upon usage and whether the stock site you use is "rights-managed" or not. Micro stock sites sell images for very small amounts without caring about usage. Rights managed sites offer more protection for the photographer and only grant the license for the very specific use you purchase.

I don't have really any advice to offer about where to go or which site is better though. I have some of my images on a rights-managed site and the prices range from $60 for editorial print to $750 for billboard use. I've noticed that many people offer 'personal use downloads' of their images in Smugmug for much less than that--anywhere from $5-$20 or so. Maybe that would be a good alternative for you?

Good luck.
    Sherry
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I would second the SmugMug browsing. I also was very surprised by Clipart.com this week and how wide the options are. It seems to be a fair subscription price. In the interest of understanding the usage I was creating training material for a class I am teaching and needed some line art (they also have images) rather than draw it myself, the leader of the class recommended the site and already had a subscription. None of this had to do with photography as it is avocational.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 7, 2010
    there's also istockphoto.com

whichever site you choose, make your selection "royalty free" for the lowest prices

• Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    there's also istockphoto.com

whichever site you choose, make your selection "royalty free" for the lowest prices

Would you explain royalty free, please?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    bigsnowdog wrote: »
    Would you explain royalty free, please?

generally speaking, when an artist allows their work to be purchased "royalty free" it means you pay a single, fixed price for a given unit (defined by size or color or what-have-you) and you are free to use that work as you see fit.

the alternate method, "licensed" or "royalty protected" allows for a proscribed use of the work in specified ways with specific terms for which varying prices are determined.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    generally speaking, when an artist allows their work to be purchased "royalty free" it means you pay a single, fixed price for a given unit (defined by size or color or what-have-you) and you are free to use that work as you see fit.

the alternate method, "licensed" or "royalty protected" allows for a proscribed use of the work in specified ways with specific terms for which varying prices are determined.

Thank you!
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Almost right. RF is not a free for all once you pay for the license. The license comes with legal terms that dictate what you may use it for, and extended licenses are often available for other uses.

Rights Managed (RM), allows you to price based on use, location, size, etc.

For your use, you certainly don't want RM. Joining any microstock site will certainly suffice. Obviously you can browse and find what you need ahead of time and then join. iStockphoto will work, since you only buy the credits you need, and not a sub plan like Shutterstock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty-free
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    orljustin wrote: »
    Almost right. RF is not a free for all once you pay for the license...

bigsnowdog:

that's why I said "generally speaking" and sometimes they are. You need to do your own research and read the various licensing agreements before making your purchase. Good luck thumb.gif