Playing with the Alien Bees 1600 and 20D

Jay25Jay25 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited October 12, 2010 in People
okay guys when it comes to strobes im sure a noob. But little by little Im catching on. Im not a pro but was totally satisfied with this shot. Im not a pro guys. I been trying to get to this level of satisfaction believe it or not. I do own a 5D MK II but wanted to use the 20D for multiple test shots. This photo I used a 16-35mm 2.8L version one lens. Flash used was a Alien bees 1600 with sync cord. I dont mind the sync cord since this is posed photos that are a couple of feet away. Ill go wireless when I get more money.

958918479_cZjKD-M.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    shot not bad....what is the flash sync trigger volatage on the AB.........is it under 6volts....if not it could damage any digital camera you plug into.........email Paul Buff to find out 100% for sure......my white lightnings are horrendous for sync voltage......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Your exposure on the child is great. Good Job. An 1800 is alot of power.
  • Jay25Jay25 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    thanks for comments. Scott the alien bees are under 6 volts. I am going to a pocket wizard soon. Im also dumping the 580 ex and moving onto a Quantum T5D with a umbrella. Not unless you guys got a better solution for flash. Most guys use one and a reflector. The nice photos Ive seen use two flashes. The alien bees are nice but they are not as mobile as a T5D. I m begining to like the results of the alien bees quite a bit.
  • jstevensphotojstevensphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2010
    Need help if y'all can. I currently use a cheap, unreliable Fotodiox kit for my studio lighting. One of the lights has died due to a bad on/off switch and I'm faced with mailing it back to Ill. for repair. What I would really like to do is just replace it with a good Alien light. My question is: Will my new Alien Bees light fire if I have the triggers on the old Fotodiox lights just from the photocell on the new light (I normally use three lights) or do I need a new triggering setup?
  • Jay25Jay25 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Need help if y'all can. I currently use a cheap, unreliable Fotodiox kit for my studio lighting. One of the lights has died due to a bad on/off switch and I'm faced with mailing it back to Ill. for repair. What I would really like to do is just replace it with a good Alien light. My question is: Will my new Alien Bees light fire if I have the triggers on the old Fotodiox lights just from the photocell on the new light (I normally use three lights) or do I need a new triggering setup?

If you get an alien bee, you can just plug it right up. As soon as it sees the other flashes go off it will go off as well. Has a built in slave already!!

Jaime
  • jstevensphotojstevensphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to order an Alien Bees 1600. I need more power anyway. I doubt I will see my repaired Fotodiox light for a least a month.