Options

is it okay to get press passes from more than one publication for an event?

cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited August 10, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I sent out multiple email requests to a number of different publications (car magazines) requesting press credentials for an upcoming event at a local race track... so far, two of the publications have responded that they will get me the press credentials for the event ...
I'm really excited, because this is my first time doing something like this .. but is it okay for me to shoot and provide photos to multiple publications?
Canon 5D MkIII
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic

Comments

• Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    cal_gecko wrote: »
    I sent out multiple email requests to a number of different publications (car magazines) requesting press credentials for an upcoming event at a local race track... so far, two of the publications have responded that they will get me the press credentials for the event ...
    I'm really excited, because this is my first time doing something like this .. but is it okay for me to shoot and provide photos to multiple publications?

Hmmm.... Very good question....

In the past, when I have shot an event with a Photo Pass, I was not under any contractual agreement with the provider of the pass, so I provided photos for more than one media outlet.

I've never been given the opportunity to get passes from more than one at the same event, so I am also interested in what others have to say. :)
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    You Don't need passes from more than one organisation. Once your in, your in and I have never seen anyone excluded from shooting anything others weren't.

It would be polite to offer the pics to the people whom organize you the pass first before offering them to anyone else.
    i used to put them in a gallery on my site, send a link to the Ed telling him where they were and asking if he could let me know what he wanted within 3 days and anything they wanted i would remove so no one else could use it.

After that I sent an email to everyone else and it was first come best dressed.

Never had a problem with this except for editors discovering they had a few pages to fill right on deadline and ringing me in the middle of the night to email them pics there and then so they could finish the story and put that edition to bed.

A little incoinvinent but it does put you in a good position to Negotiate price! :D
  • Options
    El PicosoEl Picoso Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    cal_gecko wrote: »

This is interesting, can you post the content of your email request? Did they ask for samples or credentials or anything?

Thanks