Attention Historic Racing Ferrari Lovers

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 7, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport was raced at the grueling 1957 1000 mile Mille Miglia under the Scuderia Ferrari N.E. team banner. It was leading the race at a fantastic pace before it broke. Over the next several years this very car enjoyed an enviable record of wins and high finishes in many important races. It's one of the most notable racing Ferrari's of all time and is extremely valuable.

959554413_rd5BC-XL.jpg

959554621_kYYMh-XL.jpg

959554261_37CR9-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    1957 Ferrari.....That was the year I graduated from H.S. :D Nice shot Tom.:D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Thanks, Gary. I was two years behind you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

Those are stunning images, can't believe what a beautiful setting to
    display all those wonderful machines.

Love that Red!!!

Very nicely Done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Azzaro wrote: »
    1957 Ferrari.....That was the year I graduated from H.S. :D Nice shot Tom.:D

I was out a year before you were, but I wasn't driving a Ferrari. I was driving a 1941 Ford coupe. The summer of '56, though, the Ford died on me and I bought a 1948 Kaiser. That lasted a year, and then it was a 1948 Austin A40 Devon. The Austin, with a sun roof and pop-out turn signals, was my all-time favorite car and lasted almost until I got out of college. A fun car to drive in Indiana winters. It would hang up on a small snow drift, but could be pushed out.

I've never owned a performance car like Tom photographs, but I never paid over a couple of hundred bucks (some under $100) for a car until I was married in 1964 and bought a brand new Chevvy Impala (traded in my wife's 1956 Chevvy Bel Air). I think that's why I like photographing rust buckets. I drove rust buckets from the day I got my license until 1964. Didn't own a car with air conditioning until I moved to Florida in '72. Spent the summer of '72 sweating in an un-airconditioned Chevvy Nova before I traded for a new Impala with air.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited August 6, 2010
    Howdy Craig,

I appreciate the kind remarks. The sight of a beautiful red Ferrari will get me going every time....something I never tire of. And, as you say, the setting for this show is just spectacular.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 6, 2010
    Hey Tony,

Good to hear from you. I got my license to drive in '57. Mom gifted me her '55 Chevy Bel Air at that time. You would have thought I was King of The World the way I carried on. Well, I promptly ran the thing into a ditch. The damage wasn't great and my Dad paid for the repair himself rather than make an insurance claim. I, however, spent the next 4 months working for his business....afternoons and weekends....paying him back. It was a painful way to learn some respect and appreciation....but very valuable lessons as I started my history of involvement with automobiles.

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Nice job as always Tom,

Nice color and angles thumb.gif
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Will a general history lover do? :D
    The history you guys are throwing around is some interesting in its own right.
    Actually way more than some. I have my own past, present, and potential
    future to regard. In 1955 I was just catching first light with these eyes. mwink.gif
    By the time the current age difference catchs up with me, I hope my eyes will
    still be gathering light to drive with.

Again with that nice red delivery as you do. Looks nice on that beautiful
    racing machine. thumb.gif
    Michael
    edited August 6, 2010
    Hey Michael,

As always, it's a pleasure to hear from your quarters. I don't know what it is about old men and their need to swap stories. I do know that it's an affliction that can't be cured and it's heading your way faster than you want. Better prepare yourself.

Take care,

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Nor should it be cured my friend. :D Until it gets really really annoying...
    but by that time how would you ever know and I dare say even care.
    Just maybe, there is a certain beauty to that. I'll look for that first. mwink.gif
    Michael
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Well, you don't have to be a "Historic Racing Ferrari Lovers" to like this car!! Very nice shots!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Nice lookin' car thumb.gif
    edited August 7, 2010
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for the kind words.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 7, 2010
    Hey Ron,

You're right! Beauty is beauty. You don't have to love old Ferrari's to appreciate the beauty in this car.

Be well,

Tom
    edited August 7, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

I'm beginning to believe that you are a real car nut like some of the rest of us. You've always liked the old Packards, Cadillacs, etc. that hold out the image of cruising around in elegant style. And when I suggested you come along when we commandeered that old limo that looked like a train, you were ready to go. And, here, you readily appreciate the magnificence of this Ferrari. Yep! It's official. You are a " Car Nut ".

Tom
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Splendid pics, Tom…

…as usual! thumb.gif

#2 view reminds me so much of of another car of the same era (and heritage - there's always been controversy of who copied who in the E-Type/250-GTO debate, although my ancestry demands that I consider the Jag's nose to much prettier…)

Have you ever noticed when a cat is laying down ("couchant" I think is the description), and their front paws are tucked in, they look so much like an E-Type waiting to roar away (or as in my cats' case, saunter off to the food bowl…)

Thanks again for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

I'm beginning to believe that you are a real car nut like some of the rest of us. You've always liked the old Packards, Cadillacs, etc. that hold out the image of cruising around in elegant style. And when I suggested you come along when we commandeered that old limo that looked like a train, you were ready to go. And, here, you readily appreciate the magnificence of this Ferrari. Yep! It's official. You are a " Car Nut ".

Tom

Thank-you for making it official -- I'm a Car Nut clap.gif

I do like cars although I know nothing about them. There's a beauty to the shape or style of a car.

As for cruising around in elegant style -- there's no other way :Dthumb.gif
    edited August 7, 2010
    Hey Wil,

Thanks for the kind words. One thing you can say for sure; both the E-type Jag and the Ferrari GTO were stunning cars. I got to drive one of them but I lusted after both.

Tom