Helicopter Rescue

hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited June 22, 2004 in Landscapes
During our recent cruise, one passenger had the misfortune of having a heart attack on the ship. I have no idea what the outcome was for her, but the skill of the ship's staff and the crew of the helicopter were to be commended.

The crew member had already been lowered to the ship when we went out on deck and the victum had been prepared. The helicopter was too large for the ship's helipad, so each individual had to be hoisted up to the helicopter.

The ship turned 180° so the wind was slightly off the port bow. This allowed the helicopter to approach from almost directly astern with the stack gas slightly to the starboard side.

5286048-L.jpg

The next image is of the victum being hoisted up to the helicopter. When they first hooked the basket, the helicopter was almost straight overhead. As they hoisted the basket, the helicopter moved slightly away from the ship and the basket was stabilized with a teather being held on the ship.

5286044-L.jpg

The victum's daughter was hoisted next in another basket.

5286043-L.jpg

The crew member was hoisted in a "horse collar."

5286046-L.jpg

And finally, a closeup of the helicopter as it departed.

5286047-L.jpg

These were taken by my wife's Canon Elph. I did not have the 10d with me so you use the equipment at hand.

This was the first time I have witnessed this type of rescue and I was really impressed by the effort. It is good to know that this kind of assitance is available even when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

Hutch

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    During our recent cruise, one passenger had the misfortune of having a heart attack on the ship. I have no idea what the outcome was for her, but the skill of the ship's staff and the crew of the helicopter were to be commended.

The crew member had already been lowered to the ship when we went out on deck and the victum had been prepared. The helicopter was too large for the ship's helipad, so each individual had to be hoisted up to the helicopter.

The ship turned 180° so the wind was slightly off the port bow. This allowed the helicopter to approach from almost directly astern with the stack gas slightly to the starboard side.

These were taken by my wife's Canon Elph. I did not have the 10d with me so you use the equipment at hand.

This was the first time I have witnessed this type of rescue and I was really impressed by the effort. It is good to know that this kind of assitance is available even when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

Hutch

impressive, hutch! thanks for sharing
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    I knew those cruise ship buffet tables were trouble.

Nice shots and description. You ask me, the Elph did a great job, esp. on the closeup. Didja offer any images to the ship newspaper? Front page credit?lol3.gif I see your caption now: Elph Catches Cardiac Case.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Ouch!
    Augh... As if the Heart Attack was not bad enough...
    Then to have it "witnessed and photographed for all of posterity..." Having paid all that money for the cruise and not get to enjoy it...
    Add to that the additional bills for offshore helio rescue... and hospital bills...
    Augh...
    I think I'd have another attack!
    ginette

Great shots though and informative!
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    You gotta feel bad for the people involved in this. There is no placd good to have a heart attack, but this seems worse than most.

I was good to know the ship's emergency team really seemed proffessional.

I won't worry so much about overeating on the next cruise!

Hutch