Options

Gay Weddings

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited August 7, 2010 in Weddings
I've shot 2 as a second shooter, one girls one guys. I thought they were a hoot, and had livelier dance floors than almost any straight wedding I've photographed. I've found it helps to keep the posing simple, and natural, and that like straight couples, the individual's comfort in front of the camera goes a LONG way to making or breaking the couple shots. I've also seen the ugly side of it, like seemingly supportive parents, after they've been lubricated liberally adopting sort of a "why the hell are we all here" kind of attitude at the reception. I'm not at liberty to post any of the shots I took (I was a second) but if anyone has any ideas, or examples they'd like to share I think everyone would be interested in seeing them.

As an aside, I know that gay weddings can be big business in states that allow them. I've also noticed MANY MANY photographers who wear their overt religious beliefs as a badge of pride, or maybe a shield, would those photogs who disagree with gay marriage on basis of faith turn down a job? Would they fear discrimination lawsuits if they did? I'm a liberal through and through, and I totally support gay marriage and happiness for all, but I know a few people who find it unsettling... thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Without photos it seems like your making a stewmwink.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I'm going to stick this thread, think it's a really good topic.

I've only ever had 1 inquiry (and I live in MA, go figure ...), but I was already taken on their date, so I had to say no. My second / dear friend however had 2 already. She did a really good job, but said the same thing (granted, one of the couples got married downtown, outside ... at a very public place with lots of tourists & pedestrians), there were a couple people leaving nasty remarks here and there ... headscratch.gif ... I think it's everybody's personal decision.

I'd be very interested in seeing some samples if you guys would like to share ...

I'd say it's not important if you shot as a second or not, it's still your shot, no? (Just mention that you were a second shooter so it doesn't sound like you're trying to sell somebody else's posing) I don't care if my seconds post their photos in forums or on their website ... but I guess that's between you and whoever you shot for, don't wanna stir up *that* fire rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

>> Alsoooo .... I know this is a bit of a "political" issue, so I'm counting on everybody be nice on here, I know you guys all are thumb.gif
  • Options
    samransamran Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    My opinion
    I don't comment here very often or post photos. I find your opinion on gay marriages very interesting. I am a very conservative person, and a Christian. To be honest, I have had best friends that were gay. I may not agree with their lifestyle, but that doesn't give me a reason or warrant to judge them. I don't know what I would do if I was asked to photograph a gay marriage. It's not a matter of being religiously overt to their lifestyle. I think where most Christians struggle is that they want to be clear on what they believe to be "setting a Godly example." I attend a church where everyone is welcome, and everyone is also welcome to volunteer including homosexuals. It kind of sounds like your opinion of Christians may have been tainted by individuals that meant well, but not necessarily presented themselves well. Ultimately, it is not my place to judge anyone or vice versa. A Christian leads by example and love.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I have photographed a few unions, Gay Marriage is still Illegal in Ks.......and I shot mine back in the 80's, 90's....It was all film based
    I gave the couple the negs after all the prints were bought.......The fun was something else.....the food was elegant and fantastic....
    I heard more guff when I shot a few Pagan Weddings from passersby in the Parks than at the outdoor Gay Union......my last Gay
    union was in an Espicopal Church here it was a very nice ceremony and small reception.....there was more black shirts with white
    round collars than friends and family it seemed...........I have no problem with doing them......I do ask if they want standard wedding
    photos or do they have photos that they DO NOT WANT TO DO ..... I ask them to not get offended if I call for bride and groom..for me it is just
    burned into my brain that if you are on the right side you are the groom and if on the Left side the bride..... so far everyone has gotten a laugh
    when I do that.....and they seem to spend tons more on photos than straight couples do..........so I have never had a problem shooting Gay weddings......
    CHA CHING!!! goes the cash drawer...........................................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    samran wrote: »
    I don't comment here very often or post photos. I find your opinion on gay marriages very interesting. I am a very conservative person, and a Christian. To be honest, I have had best friends that were gay. I may not agree with their lifestyle, but that doesn't give me a reason or warrant to judge them. I don't know what I would do if I was asked to photograph a gay marriage. It's not a matter of being religiously overt to their lifestyle. I think where most Christians struggle is that they want to be clear on what they believe to be "setting a Godly example." I attend a church where everyone is welcome, and everyone is also welcome to volunteer including homosexuals. It kind of sounds like your opinion of Christians may have been tainted by individuals that meant well, but not necessarily presented themselves well. Ultimately, it is not my place to judge anyone or vice versa. A Christian leads by example and love.

I respect your POV but who said Christian? I'm very careful not point a finger at any religious group in particular, you may have FILLED IN Christian where I put religious...but it was not my doing. So far as overt/not overt/evangelical trends whatever... I think if you put it in your about me, or mention that you owe all your success to ... you are overt. I personally view religion like a MLM or a big networking party, and I've NEVER felt comfortable at those parties. Be that as it may...you said Christian...I didn't

And just so I'm not accused of pot stirring without posting....

A good photographer/friend of mine consulted me about her FIRST solo wedding of her own (which happened to be a gay wedding) I told her my experience...and I think she hit it out of the park!

http://simonamonnati.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_9845.html

photos by Simona Monnati
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I hope this remains civil. This is a subject than can be very charged.

Since this is a photo forum here is one from a fux gay wedding conducted by Elvis. Lots of fun!!

Everybody is untitled to their own opinion here. If you belief system is good with gay marrage then go shoot it. If you would be uncomfortable don't.

I am not completely clear if I would shoot one or not. I really think I might be uncomfortable and out of my element. The couple would most likely be better served to get someone more in tune with this lifestyle.

As for law suits, I think it's just silly. If some one has an issues with this or would be uncomfortable they can't do justice for the couple. Why sue?

Sam
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Ohhh, the moderator already doesn't like where this is going :nah

Guys, let's keep it clean, otherwise I'll have to close the tread.

Post some photos, post some ideas. Share some experience, but please don't comment on if you agree with this lifestyle or not (btw, that one wasn't meant for you, Sam).

Pretty please .... I really like the topic, so let's do our best on here, k? thumb.gif
  • Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Here's a new one for ya: a friend of a friend got married to her girlfriend. Since she and I have mutual friends, I wanted to shoot the wedding for her, even offered a sizeable discount. I was told that they felt I was too conservative, and that they would prefer a gay photographer. And they got one. The girlfriend's brother who just picked up his first DSLR... How's that for mixing up many Dgrin discussion topics?
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I hope this remains civil. This is a subject than can be very charged.

Since this is a photo forum here is one from a faux gay wedding conducted by Elvis. Lots of fun!!

Everybody is untitled to their own opinion here. If you belief system is good with gay marrage then go shoot it. If you would be uncomfortable don't.

I am not completely clear if I would shoot one or not. I really think I might be uncomfortable and out of my element. The couple would most likely be better served to get someone more in tune with this lifestyle.

As for law suits, I think it's just silly. If some one has an issues with this or would be uncomfortable they can't do justice for the couple. Why sue?

Sam

There, fixed that one for ya. :D That could've got real ugly, real fast. :D
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I've actually seen weddings conducted behind the walls of a prison- but no camera's were allowed.

Wedding's are weddings.. gay.. straight.. catholic.. jewish.. muslim.. interspecies- whatever.

The original poster also said:

"I've also seen the ugly side of it, like seemingly supportive parents, after they've been lubricated.."

Lubricated parents? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    misterb wrote: »
    I've actually seen weddings conducted behind the walls of a prison- but no camera's were allowed.

Wedding's are weddings.. gay.. straight.. catholic.. jewish.. muslim.. interspecies- whatever.

The original poster also said:

"I've also seen the ugly side of it, like seemingly supportive parents, after they've been lubricated.."

by alcohol...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    misterb wrote: »

Lubricated is akin to sauced, bashed, befuddled, boozed up, buzzed, crocked, feeling no pain, flushed, flying, fuddled, glazed, groggy, high, inebriated, juiced, laced, liquored up, lit, lush, muddled, plastered, potted, seeing double, sloshed, stewed, stoned, tanked, three sheets to the wind, tight, tipsy, totaled, under the influence, under the table, wasted.......................and others that I will not mention just to keep this thread from getting a R Rating OR WORSE...CLOSED.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    Test-Pilot wrote: »
    Here's a new one for ya: a friend of a friend got married to her girlfriend. Since she and I have mutual friends, I wanted to shoot the wedding for her, even offered a sizeable discount. I was told that they felt I was too conservative, and that they would prefer a gay photographer. And they got one. The girlfriend's brother who just picked up his first DSLR... How's that for mixing up many Dgrin discussion topics?

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifGood one.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    There, fixed that one for ya. :D That could've got real ugly, real fast. :D

Thanks!!!

Sam