dragon, damsel, and a focus stack

BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 7, 2010 in Holy Macro
Friendly little red dragon from yesterday. Slight crop.

_MG_7787.jpg

Blue damselfly from today. I'm trying changing my flash settings to not make as many hotspots. This is my first halfway successful focus stacked shot (just two images). :clap Moderate crop - but the stacked image had a LOT of pixels to choose from so I removed some of the rock.

FS1.jpg

Another damsel in a different robe. Lighting is not too hot overall, but is there a way to avoid hotspots on the eye??? I switched to 100 ISO from 200 for all the shots today, and I think the colors are very nice... Uncropped.

_MG_7836.jpg

Comments

• BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    ps. forgot to add, C&C welcome and is very helpful, so let loose! Also, any help for changing my lighting setup is welcome. Currently am using an L bracket with a mini ball, and the 430 mounted on the ball. Diffuser is a Lumiquest mini softbox.
  • clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Very nice job.I like the red one the best- full body shot.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Lovely series of shots - esp like #2 - the stack worked well !

Very hard to avoid hot spots on dragon or damsel eyes - you will either get them from the sun or the flash (or both as in the dragon shot). Getting the diffuser head as near to the end of the lens as possible helps as does adding more diffusion. Both help spread the light more so you get a larger but duller hotspot. Using a CPL filter in natural bright light shots also helps reduce the intensity of the spots but does not completley get rid of them.

Brian V.
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Thanks very much, Brian. I think I have a good quality CPL somewhere that I will try... I'd like to have a filter on the lens anyway. It seems that a great deal of macro work is just experimenting with light. :-)