Options

Question about charging

SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited August 7, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello. I am supposed to take engagement shots tomorrow evening for my daughter's friend and her fiance. I don't know how to charge.

When I used to take senior pictures, I'd charge a $75 sitting fee and then mark up the prints. This girl mainly wants a shot for her "Save the Date" - no prints. You all know the time involved in a shoot, download selections, and post processing, even for just one shot. I also have 1/2 drive to get to the location. They want their dog in the shots too.

She basically said she didn't want prints, just hand over the "file". Uh, no.

What would you do?

I took pictures for her engagement party. Five hours, 350 shots. I processed 250 of them (which took 20 hours of my time) and posted them on Smug for her. She downloaded the ones she wanted and sent me a $50 gift card.

How do you control your pictures so they don't get taken? I know a Pro account would help, anything else? This is a weird situation because she's my daughter's friend, so I don't want to overcharge, but my time isn't free.
SandiZ
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Hello. I am supposed to take engagement shots tomorrow evening for my daughter's friend and her fiance. I don't know how to charge.

When I used to take senior pictures, I'd charge a $75 sitting fee and then mark up the prints. This girl mainly wants a shot for her "Save the Date" - no prints. You all know the time involved in a shoot, download selections, and post processing, even for just one shot. I also have 1/2 drive to get to the location. They want their dog in the shots too.

What would you do?

I took pictures for her engagement party. Five hours, 350 shots. I processed 250 of them (which took 20 hours of my time) and posted them on Smug for her. She downloaded the ones she wanted and sent me a $50 gift card.

How do you control your pictures so they don't get taken? I know a Pro account would help, anything else? This is a weird situation because she's my daughter's friend, so I don't want to overcharge, but my time isn't free.

I have a pro account so I may not be aware of some missing options.... For starters, don't offer digital downloads. Does a non pro account allow an option for that? Second, does standard allow for watermarks?

If it does: develop a digital watermark for your SmugMug account and save it as a GIF or JPEG. Make a gallery invisible to the public and upload the watermark file to it. Go to the gallery with the file, and click "Tools -> This Image -> more -> make into watermark" You can set transparency options afterward. Then, go to the gallery of images you want to protect, and change it's settings to include the watermark (Its in the mess of options for galleries) If watermarking is not allowed for basic that would be kind of bogus in my opinion since any level of commercial photography needs watermarking.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    I don't have any of those options. I have the upgrade from standard, but not the pro.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I send all my clients a numbered slideshow using Lightroom. It’s flash based so they can’t save the images (as long as you use the classic settings). I just did my first E Session and charged $85 because it was my first, I now am charging $120 and I live in a not so affluent area.
    Pics from my first session.

http://vimeo.com/13760026
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    I just upgraded. That problem is solved. Now I have to figure out how to broach the subject of money.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    You might consider offering/asking to do the printing also. Through SmugMug http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/#More you can do Moo prints (I like the cards I just got from them) or Tiny Prints or directly from SmugMug you can do Cards as well http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-greeting-cards. So rather than look like you are charging a huge amount for the file, you can do "cost of travel" plus you want to do the printing. You mark it up to a fair price and it does not seem as awkward. Just an idea.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »

What would you do?

Don't charge your daughter's friends is my advice. You put everybody in an awkward position. If you don't like to work for free then have a quiet word with your daughter so she does not make any more offers. As it is they probably think you are enjoying yourself and they have no cash, so you will enjoy yourself even more when you do not need to charge indirectly via Smugmug, being a decent guy, etc.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    First off, I hope 20 hours was a typo. If you are taking 20 hours to process 250 images, you'll never make it as a professional photographer. You'll always have way too much overhead. She's making a save-the-date card. Is she printing it with a designer? You can charge the $75 session fee and then figure out a price for the file. Send the file straight to the designer with specific instructions that the file is only to be used for the card and should not be passed on to the client. Formalize it in a contract if need be. If they're spending $100-$300 on save the date, they can afford to spend $100 to license the photo.