Look what I got for $3!

jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited August 8, 2010 in Cameras
I know it's not much, but I was kind of happy with my purchase. I found this at the local Goodwill. It's in decent shape and everything seem to be working. It even has working batteries in it for the light meter!

4867983592_7f45f8c675.jpg

This will be my first ever film camera :) I'm looking forward to experimenting.

I tried to see if some of my Nikon lenses would fit on this, and they ALMOST mount, but not quite, and I was afraid to force the issue. I should be able to have fun with the 50mm f/1.9 lens it has on it though :)

I know this is "Digital" grin, but if anyone had recommendations on film or processing labs, I'd welcome the advice.
J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    might go to a privately owned camera store and see if they have any pentax lenses...a lot of "off" brand camera used the pentax mount......
    Very cool find tho.......to start with go to wal mart buy some fuji film and go for it......wal mart will also process the film........I never shot film over 100 iso
    in 35mm format.........my medium format cams I stretched to 160 .......I did approx 98% of all my shooting with 50iso fuji film or agfa film.........or Ilford film
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    From what I can find with a quick Google search, it looks like this is basically the same camera internally as the Nikon FM10 but with a Pentax K-mount (as Art says). The FM10 was made for Nikon by Cosina, so this was probably made by Cosina too.

You certainly can't argue with the price. Have fun with it. Since I started shooting film again earlier this year, my 5D Mark II isn't getting much use.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    might go to a privately owned camera store and see if they have any pentax lenses...a lot of "off" brand camera used the pentax mount......
    Very cool find tho.......to start with go to wal mart buy some fuji film and go for it......wal mart will also process the film........I never shot film over 100 iso
    in 35mm format.........my medium format cams I stretched to 160 .......I did approx 98% of all my shooting with 50iso fuji film or agfa film.........or Ilford film

I think Walmart has stopped One hour development, if you are in a hurry, then run right past that store.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Fuji Superia 200 from Wally World is completely passable film, and cheap!

If you want a cheap (and heavy) thrill, I'll loan you my Soligor 70-210 3.5 for a while. I hardly use it. My other K-mount lenses will be taken from my cold, dead, fingers. lol3.gif
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    I don't know which batteries this camera takes; but my first SLR used 675. At the time I used a camera shop who's owner was also a family friend. We discovered that my 675 hearing air battery was only a 1/100 of a volt off from the camera version. He said that with the match needle meter I would never know the difference and wouldn't hurt anything. I tried it and it did fine and AT A CHEAPER PER BATTERY COST!

If this camera takes a battery that is the same (or that close) as a hearing aid battery and you get to shooting with the camera a lot you might want to compare the cost.

Jane B.