Options

New User - Need Website Inspiration

ericabickelericabickel Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 8, 2010 in Weddings
I'm not entirely certain how to start this post, so I'm going to just jump right in.

My name is Erica, and I shot my first wedding in 2008, as a second shooter to the gentleman who actually shot my own wedding in 2006.

I shot the next in 2009, another just this past May, and then I second shot a reception a few weeks ago.

To be totally honest, I gave up on photography after the wedding in June. Felt that I was never going to be good enough, that I'd never have the money to get proper lenses, etc. I literally said to my husband "I am done. I can't do this." I loved weddings, and loved photography, but I was having a serious self esteem issue.

This past weekend, I attended a wedding for the first time in 5 years where I wasn't in, or employed by, the wedding. Obviously I was keeping one eye on the photographer and I was horrified. She kept setting her camera down on the DJ stand to go to get drinks at the bar, and hitting the dance floor. Needless to say, I was not particularly surprised when I went to their website, to see photos in their portfolio with red-eye, back/front focus in areas where it was obviously an error and all sorts of things that just didn't seem worth the $1000 they were charging for a wedding.

I am the least cocky person you will ever meet, and I am well aware that my photos aren't perfect. I'm still struggling with the perfect lighting and white balance, and I am shooting with mid-range equipment.

However, it hit me that day, for the first time ever, that I am not the worst photographer out there.

Anyway, apologies for the novel, just basically wanted a disclaimer that said "I'm not perfect but I want to get better!" so when you see how sub-par the photos I have are, you know it's not out of laziness, I'm just a beginner who needs a little help.

The first bit of help, is that I'm re-doing my website and what I did was break up the Weddings into separate categories. I felt there were too many photos to put all in one place, but not enough weddings to create a varied portfolio with just the WOW photos.

The problem I'm having is the verbage. Right now I have it as "Rehearsals" "Ceremonies" etc...but not only would I like something a bit more creative, but I'm struggling with how to categorize some photos. I have a lot of nice detail shots, but I didn't necessarily make a folder for detail shots, I just put them in where they were most applicable. I'm also trying to figure out what I should do for Portraits...obviously a few formal portraits, but there are a few photos here and there that I grab on the fly in the salon or while getting ready, should those just go with the formals? Any nudges in the right direction would help.

Ok, I'll end this now, sorry to ramble, I'm truly hopeful that this is the right direction to take!

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I usually have separate categories for Getting Ready, Ceremony, Portraits, and Reception as sub-categories for each couple. I have seen other photographers create albums for details, which is great if you have enough shots like that. Keeping in mind that I don't specialize in weddings, and so don't interview with many couples.... most want to see a wedding from start to finish to get an idea of what they can expect from me. So, my system for organizing my wedding photos has worked. I also have a wedding portfolio that I update ever so often.

I have had those "I quit" moments, too, and for basically the same reasons you listed. It hasn't ever lasted long, and I feel very strongly now that I will never give this up. I only do photography part time for now, and it's about a third of my income. As my children get older, I see myself moving into doing photography full time. What I realized is that I am hard on myself because I really do have the potential to be great at this. If I didn't have vision, I wouldn't see the flaws in my work. Taking on artistic projects helps, for me. I push myself to get out of my comfort zone and work on something that I don't do well until I can do it well. I feel like I suck, and then it all comes together, and that feels awesome. I look back, and I can see that I keep improving, and will likely continue to do so.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    I used to have it so all of the photos were on the website, but I was starting to feel like that was really overwhelming. I still have entire weddings on my smugmug server, in unlisted galleries. So if any one ever wanted to see them, they are available.

My husband and my family are constantly telling me that I am my harshest critic, but I believe that's because I know what to look for in a good/bad photo, and they just go 'Oooh pretty."

It's so nice to know though, that other people go through these feelings. Right now I need to work up the equipment I have. I believe that having basic lenses, and nothing that handles well in low light, really hinder me.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    However, it hit me that day, for the first time ever, that I am not the worst photographer out there.
    It's discouraging sometimes to realize just how hard the profession of freelance photography is, ...and then to see someone who is obviously TERRIBLE at it, achieving apparent success... :-( I feel your pain.

The problem I'm having is the verbage. Right now I have it as "Rehearsals" "Ceremonies" etc...but not only would I like something a bit more creative, but I'm struggling with how to categorize some photos.
    I think The Becker pretty much has the best possible organization, period- Portraits, candids, and details. Of course his branding is "relaxed portraits, real moments, and amazing details" ...but those are HIS chosen descriptive words, and I respectfully refuse to steal them outright...

Anyways I think as a general rule, that's the best way to organize your stuff. I spent years trying to think of a better way to do it; I broke things down to "details, getting ready, ceremony, portraits, receptions" but it just seemed like a bit much. Do you put reception details at the beginning? Etc. etc. ...It becomes an organization nightmare.

The other option is of course to just post full weddings. I always have at least one full wedding featured in my portfolio, because I know some clients like to see that. (And I encourage potential clients to ONLY ever consider photographers who can show them an entire wedding, too.)

You can view my own personal twist on the "portraits, candids, details" categories here:

http://matthewsaville.com

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    I just had a long talk with someone about all of this, and he recommended similar to what Smurfy said. Just the best. Which is what I plan to do. I may still separate into Wedding and Reception, or maybe Wedding, Reception and Details or something but it will greatly eliminate some anxiety I'm having about this.

As for the slideshow, that thing hasn't been touched in a LONG time. I plan on re-doing it once the rest of the site is done.