need help

wave5wave5 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited August 9, 2010 in Cameras
hi
i accidentally dropped my camera lens, and the first glass piece is little shattered but still in tact, also the camera still works (i took some shots) is their a cheap way to fix it? can i just remove the glass piece and take photos? or would that ruin it??

this is my first experience with a dslr so not sure what to do, i dont wanna spend lots of money on getting it repaired or buying a new one. Its 18-70m, btw is that lens type worth alot? i got my camera in a packaged deal (sony a300/350)

---
thanks in advance

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 8, 2010
    Without seeing images of the damage it's hard to make a recommendation. Often damage of this sort will lead to additional long-term separation of the pieces. Just be careful not to get cut if the pieces should come apart and out of the lens body.

I would bet that the front element is a valuable part of the lens so no, you can't just discard it and expect the lens to function properly. If it's a protective filter that broke then that can be removed but not a lens element itself.

Take it to a camera shop or a professional photographer for another opinion at least.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wave5wave5 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    thank u i will surely go to a camera shop and ask them. initially to avoid them i wanted ur consent as they always rush to the "it cant b fixed type" statements so i wanted a raw opinion.
    from what i see after playing with the lens, i think its protection filter that needs to be replaced. hopefully my local shop can fix it for a reasonable price.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Well, if the "first glass piece" is a clear protective filter (like all us careful shooters use mwink.gif) you have just discovered why we use them. Otherwise . . . (sighs ruefully.).
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    wave5 wrote: »
    thank u i will surely go to a camera shop and ask them. initially to avoid them i wanted ur consent as they always rush to the "it cant b fixed type" statements so i wanted a raw opinion.
    from what i see after playing with the lens, i think its protection filter that needs to be replaced. hopefully my local shop can fix it for a reasonable price.

It can always be fixed but sometimes it costs more than just getting another copy of the lens :cry