Judy and Gail's wedding

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited June 23, 2004 in Weddings
I am a member of the Unitarian church here in Newton, MA.

5301883-L.jpg

Yesterday, the church held it's first same sex wedding. The minister has married 2 couples already, but not in church ceremonies. I went to this event as a photojournalist and as a Unitarian, but (should have seen it coming) was instantly cast as a wedding photographer. This is something I haven't done before and haven't really thought about and let me tell you, I found it hard. Gives you a new respect for people who do it for living (and I suppose it is a skill that can bring in some cash.)

Lesson #1: Go to the rehearsal. Probably a great photo-op all by itself. Also you won't be clueless (as I was) about the script for the actual event. I missed some sort of procession with the spouses, parents, minister outside before the ceremony. I think this would have been a good place to be with a fill flash on such a sunny afternoon.

So I started off in the space just outside the sanctuary. It has a relatively low white ceiling and some sunlight from open doors. Perfect for bounce flash with the Stofen thing (thanks, Pathfinder.)

5301258-L.jpg

The flower girl.

5301271-L.jpg

Judy. Here is the first foretate of trouble to come. Even with bounce flash, the reflection from Judy's face is unflattering. I know this can be improved in post (see below for an example), but still. I don't know anything about makeup, but maybe it would have been better if she used more. Sometimes it's hard to be a Unitarian. Still, I think she will like this image with the blurred afternoon in the background if I can do something about the facial glare.

5301286-L.jpg

Gail. Wish she had contact lenses. Can something be done in post about the reflection in her glasses? Wish she would lose her ironic distance more easily. But you have to play the hand you are dealt.

5301388-L.jpg

The parents. Lesson #2: Posed groups should really be posed. Candid is good. Posed can work. Semicandid doesn't work. Now I know, find a nice background. Take some test shots to make sure of the lighting and that the background really will work with aperature, bokah, etc. Then boss everybody around and make them stand where you want them to and engage them to make them relax and pose the way you want them to. Take lots so you aren't stuck with one person with eyes closed or an ugly expression or something.

5301389-L.jpg

The couple. Well, it has all the aforementioned problems with shooting Judy and Gail. And if I had already learned lesson #2, I could have done better. But with a little post to make the colors pop and cosmetic work on the faces, I'll bet it can be turned into something nice for their album.

5301391-L.jpg

Miniser James Ford.

5301464-L.jpg

5301473-L.jpg

I love shallow DOF and selective focus. I like how it works in these shots. (Especially the first; the second need a crop, I think.) But probably the couple will would prefer to be both in focus.

Then this really really bad thing happened. The minister walked down the aisle and stood at the alter at the far end of the sanctuarly and Judy said to me, "Oh, please, do you think you think you get get one of that; it's so beautiful."

Oh my God. It's dark in there. And a long way off. But I'm nothing if not game. So I changed lenses from portait to 100-400 as fast as possible and cranked the camera up to 1600 ISO. The results didn't survive my first cull. Lesson #3: Don't be afraid to go where you have to in order to get the shot you want. I should have just run up the aisle instead of changing lenses. More about darkness below.

Once the are on the alter, it would be good to get some shots of the ceremony, right? But this turns out to be really hard. I couldn't find the angle that showed the just the couple and not the ministers partly hidden. Or the couple and the ministers all looking unobscured. And did I tell you, it's dark in there.

5301517-L.jpg

Direct on camera flash. Ugh.

5301534-L.jpg

Just can't find the angle. Lesson #3: Foresight and planning is what separates us from the beasts. Use it. If I'd been at the rehearsal, I could have figured this out and set it up so there would have been an angle and I would have known where it was.

Lesson #4: Use remote flashes for the ceremony. It's dark in their and there is a limit to what on camera flash can do for a large scene in a dark place like this. I know how to light this! It's just like the elementary school play I shot a couple of weeks back. There I used two remotes + on camera. I don't know if the couple would have accepted this, but I could have asked if I had already learned lesson #3.

5301602-L.jpg

By the power vested in me by the great state of Massachusetts, I now pronounce you spouses for life. That got a standing ovation from the Unitarians and guests! Wish I could have got a good shot of this scene. I actually can't figure out even now, what that angle would be. How to show the hug and both faces? Maybe if I'd had a boom or a ladder or something?

Then a miracle occured. I got this:

5301603-L.jpg

OK, it's dark. OK, Judy's face has flash reflection. OK, Gail is wearing glasses. But Gail is just happy, no ironic distance for one. The composition works and shows movement. They are holding hands and obviously happy with each other. Sharpness good enough (would look better if Gail and James weren't wearing glasses.) The flash The minister is there and unobscured. I can work with this.

5302205-L.jpg

This time PS/CS shadow/highlight worked like a charm. I didn't even have to monkey with the curves in strange colorspaces afterward. Then there was the issue of the ugly background. I think that once you get really good with flashes, this might stop happening, but I'm not there. No matter, I have learned to use the make good selections (thanks to dgrinners) and the black black background just shuts this problem down. Dabbed at the flash reflections on Judy's face with a soft brush and low opacity. Ready for the cover of the New York Times Sunday Magazine. Well maybe not, but I bet that Judy and Gail would like an 8x10.

Anyone still with me? Probably not, so I' guess I'm done. The wedding cake cutting had all the same issues as the ceremony. If I'd learned lessons 1-4, I might have got something worth showing then.

Oh, and Lesson #5: take lots of pictures of the children at weddings. There is absolutely nothing to lose by doing this. Almost all children are much better looking than most adults. People love pictures of children. Children at weddings are dolled up and have nothing better to do than to run around and pose for you. And it isn't as hard as the rest of wedding photography, so it counts as R&R.

5301746-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    nice job, in a pinch, rutt!

ps cs shadow highlight works wonders. i tried it on one of your shots. 25%, 35% and 100px radius... looked pretty darn good!

thanks for sharing
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    Great post Rutt. I'm sure many of us were "with you" to the end of post. Your candid sharing of the difficulties and obstacles you encounter during your photo shoot are more than educational. They tell a story that keep us there to the end.

I have shot half a dozen or so weddings in my lifetime. I know this isn't a lot, but the few lessons I've learned that can be added to Rutt's are:

1. Find out the church's policies on photography. Some are very strict. Some allow some photography, but no flash photography. Some allow pretty much unlimited photography, but limit the photographer's movement during the ceremony. Find out where and when you may move about the church.

2. Visit the church about the same time of day that you will be photographing to see what kind of light you might have.

3. Get a diffuser for your flash. Bounce flash often isn't an option due to very high ceilings or very dark ceilings.

4. Take a picture of the organist/musician. (Just a shameless plug for us church organists :D )

Again, Rutt, great post.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    andy wrote:
    nice job, in a pinch, rutt!

ps cs shadow highlight works wonders. i tried it on one of your shots. 25%, 35% and 100px radius... looked pretty darn good!

thanks for sharing
    Which shot, please?
    If not now, when?
    edited June 20, 2004
    digismile wrote:

4. Take a picture of the organist/musician. (Just a shameless plug for us church organists :D )
    I didn't miss this trick. But the organist didn't want to sit still for me, so I only got one mediocre one. In this case, it's his fault:

5301964-L.jpg

Similar situation with the trumpeter:

5301957-L.jpg

But I the organ did sit still for me, so I shot it:

5311449-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    5301271-L.jpg

Judy. Here is the first foretate of trouble to come. Even with bounce flash, the reflection from Judy's face is unflattering. I know this can be improved in post (see below for an example), but still. I don't know anything about makeup, but maybe it would have been better if she used more. Sometimes it's hard to be a Unitarian. Still, I think she will like this image with the blurred afternoon in the background if I can do something about the facial glare.

Rutt thanks for giving me permission to "play" with this shot of Judy. Here is my result.
    edited June 20, 2004
    and the lovely child
    edited June 20, 2004
    Big impreovement in Judy. Thank you very much! Can you share the steps you used, please? I did like the original background, but yours is also nice.

I have to chew on the flower girl in B&W. As you know I have a prejudice in favor of color if it can be made to work, and this one was working, I think. But your crop is nice. Loses the wisp of hair, though.
    If not now, when?
    edited June 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Big impreovement in Judy. Thank you very much! Can you share the steps you used, please? I did like the original background, but yours is also nice.

I have to chew on the flower girl in B&W. As you know I have a prejudice in favor of color if it can be made to work, and this one was working, I think. But your crop is nice. Loses the wisp of hair, though.
    thanks rutt..I LIKE the wisps! rolleyes1.gif will post technique later, Have to go get fitted for a Bledsoe Brace for my ankle (what ever that is)...

Talk to you when I hop back.
    Lynn
    edited June 21, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    thanks rutt..I LIKE the wisps! rolleyes1.gif will post technique later, Have to go get fitted for a Bledsoe Brace for my ankle (what ever that is)...

Lynn
    No I didn't mean that you should lose the wisps. I meant that you had lost them. Or at least deemphasized them.
    If not now, when?
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Lynn
    By now you know. I spent a couple of months in a Bledsoe brace when my knee was shattered and my tibia sheered.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited June 22, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    By now you know. I spent a couple of months in a Bledsoe brace when my knee was shattered and my tibia sheered.
    OOOOOOOO nasty cmr... I got my very attractive brace:D but it does'nt go on for a month, just wanted to be ready..how did you shatter your knee?
    edited June 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    OOOOOOOO nasty cmr... I got my very attractive brace:D but it does'nt go on for a month, just wanted to be ready..how did you shatter your knee?
    A guy driving an SUV decided to use my lane without bothering to look.

xray_knee_15_sr.jpg
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    <sm claps hand over mouth> OUCH! I've yet to break a bone, but.. oohh..

Rutt, CLASSIC comment about being a Unitarian. Made me giggle.

Lynn, that's beautiful what you did with Judy's portrait. It actually gave her an extra twinkle in her eye, perfect for a wedding day.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited June 22, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    A guy driving an SUV decided to use my lane without bothering to look.
    Owwwww.... mine looks similar but smaller...:D
    edited June 22, 2004
    Rutt, you can see basically what I did right here.. let me know if this does'nt work for you.

Lynn:D

http://www.providencecliffseniors.com/judy/judy.html
    edited June 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Rutt, you can see basically what I did right here.. let me know if this does'nt work for you.

Lynn:D

http://www.providencecliffseniors.com/judy/judy.html
    Thanks Lynn, I followed you instructions and added a little here and there and got this:

5410608-L.jpg

What do you think? Am I on my way to being a beutician?
    If not now, when?
    edited June 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks Lynn, I followed you instructions and added a little here and there and got this:

Looks like you got teh tehcqniue donw pat. Laughing.gif Seriously looks like some nice massaging of the image.
    edited June 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:

5410608-L.jpg

Very nice indeed Rutt..the only slight (very slight) thing I noticed is that she is so close to the right hand border. Other than that I think you missed your calling rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Very nice indeed Rutt..the only slight (very slight) thing I noticed is that she is so close to the right hand border. Other than that I think you missed your calling rolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, I thought about that and decided that
    1. it was too much work to move her, and
    2. I could use the "law of thirds" to justify my laziness
    Meanwhile, I beautified the happy couple in a couple of other shots. It's like eating peanuts, can't stop once you start.

5422833-L.jpg

(Thanks, Andy for the shadow/highlights parameters and courage to see this as a good enough shot to be worth some work.)

5423763-L.jpg

Perhaps you can't see the difference between this and the first retouched version I posted, but I took most of Lynn's hints and was much more careful about the selection. I think this one will stand up to 12x18.
    If not now, when?
    edited June 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, I thought about that and decided that
    1. it was too much work to move her, and
    2. I could use the "law of thirds" to justify my laziness
    Meanwhile, I beautified the happy couple in a couple of other shots. It's like eating peanuts, can't stop once you start.

(Thanks, Andy for the shadow/highlights parameters and courage to see this as a good enough shot to be worth some work.)

Perhaps you can't see the difference between this and the first retouched version I posted, but I took most of Lynn's hints and was much more careful about the selection. I think this one will stand up to 12x18.
    You are so right, you can't stop... I gaussion blur everything now.. it's addictive.. I like what you've done Rutt.. I think the blur maybe a tad heavy but the rest of it is great...