Options

My first wedding my first pp mistake...

TBRTBR Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 9, 2010 in Weddings
I'll start out by saying I was graciously given the opportunity to tag along this wedding to get some real experience with a wedding.

I was going to wait and post until I got my photos done and gone through but wanted to share this little tidbit of learning before. I just got done with my first round of post processing the reception shots of my from the wedding when I made a little mistake.

I started my photography career taking real estate photos for local agents and had 4 simple actions set up in Photoshop for batch resizing but only used 3 of them on a regular basis. I knew these worked exactly how I needed them to, but for some reason I decided not to use one of them to resize my photos tonight. I wanted a little bigger than the other three offered.

I click on batch, I select the action, I pick the folder to get the photos from, I pick the folder to put it in, click OK and then Photoshop starts and finishes doing its thing.

When I go to upload the photos there were none in the folder they were supposed to be in. :scratch Guess what happened? It resized all the new fresh full sized JPEGs and just saved them right over the originals.:uhoh

Lucky for me they are still large enough for what is really needed so no real harm done. It did however scare me pretty bad. I just spent all day getting the shots as good as I could and realized how easy it would be to loose all that time and possibly all the pictures. It was a great learning experience for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read and if you did I hope you at least got a small chuckle out of it.

Here is one photo that I took of the B&G. As always CC welcomed and encouraged.

4874316603_07a187acfa.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    TBR wrote: »
    ...When I go to upload the photos there were none in the folder they were supposed to be in. headscratch.gif Guess what happened? It resized all the new fresh full sized JPEGs and just saved them right over the originals.:uhoh...
    Yeah, I remember a couple un-solved mysteries with those types of actions, and I remember figuring it out once or twice and getting to the bottom of WHY it did that, but in the end I just couldn't trust the process so I stopped using actions in that way.

Now, I do 99% of my editing in Bridge. If I need to output something in low-res for a blog, I record the "save" step right into the action.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    A rule read somewhere that I live by: Three copies in three locations before touching a file or erasing a card...always always always.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    I knew the rule of three but for some reason I got excited and jumped the gun... all the rest of the shots are now backed up and backed up again...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Getting your work flow bullet proof is important, but I am a little confused. If you shot in RAW while you will have lost a lot of time you still have all the originals?

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Yep I still have all the original RAWs and surprisingly most did not need very much work other than some wight balance IMO but I did still spend a good amount of time making sure. It more scared me than anything and thought I would share in hopes it might help out another... This was a much better way to learn than actually loosing all the photos out right...!!! The bad part is I have a work flow. I did change it up a little for wedding work vs. real estate but still I should of followed it to a tee. I knew better and now really know better.