Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #57 (Milk)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited August 23, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #57

Welcome to Round #57 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, August 9, 8:00am PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, August 23, 8:00am PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Milk

White liquid, splashing, pouring, dripping, drinking, nourishing or ? This round is all about milk and how you interpret it. Use your imagination.

Your Judges:
WhatSheSaw (Winner of Round 54)
Guest Judge: You (An experimental public vote)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Milk definitely isn't my thing (never go near the stuff). On the other hand, yoghurt and cheese. Yum! Also, milk isn't too common in China. OTOH, Soy milk or tofu. Easy! Does it have to come from a cow or even an animal?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Milk definitely isn't my thing (never go near the stuff). On the other hand, yoghurt and cheese. Yum! Also, milk isn't too common in China. OTOH, Soy milk or tofu. Easy! Does it have to come from a cow or even an animal?

Use of "Soy Milk" is welcome and will not disqualify you. This is about a visual image and does not require anyone to actually drink milk unless they want to. mwink.gif
  • Options
    wats005wats005 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    I would think as long as the liquid resembled milk or what you though of it- you would be fine. Correct?
    Erica

Still Learning.......
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Lots of cool avenues to take with this challenge. I don't think we'll just be seeing a bunch of shots of white milk here. Good luck to all...cool idea!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    wats005 wrote: »
    I would think as long as the liquid resembled milk or what you though of it- you would be fine. Correct?

Yes, you are correct!
    Your question reminds me of a comment from DeuceFour in DSS round #17, that always makes me smile when I think about it. The point being that the challenges are about being creative. As long as your image communicates the theme idea clearly it does not necessarily have to have milk (or hair) in it. :D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 9, 2010
    hmmmm...got milk?
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    The 2nd judge is interesting? Do tell more---
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Guest Judge: You (An experimental public vote)
    Yes, my imagination runeth wild on this idea, imagining good and bad stuff. Have you fleshed out what you mean by this as of yet?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    please do correct me if I am wrong Sean but what I think you are saying is that your going to have us pick out top ten on one of those open voting things and the top ten from that results are the then in the final voting round along with the top ten of What she saw. Did I get it right?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    I was wondering if anyone was reading mwink.gif

Jag has it pretty much correct.
    There was a very favorable response to doing a public vote when the question was asked. I felt that taking baby steps towards such a scenario was prudent and therefore would like to try a few rounds with one main judge picking their top 10, as well a public vote that happens for 24 hours only. The public vote will have the ability for multiple choices so people can vote for their top 10 or whichever number they see fit. The top 10 entries combined with the main judges picks will then move on to our regular public vote with only one choice instead of multiple.

I am hoping this will give you the participants a feeling of better participation and fairness. Possibly eliminating the "blind judges" stigma?

Nothing is set in stone at this point so everything will be re-evaluated after the upcoming Mega.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Sean I agree that taking baby steps is good and this system could work but the only problem that I see that might be a problem is if you have several ties in the voting. With people voting for more than one there will be more of a chance for ties. In that case...lets say you have 3 images that ranked with the same amount of votes when you only have one spot left to fill. You then actually end up with 12 top images instead of 10. Does that make sense?

I know that the software probably doesn't allow it but it would be nice if they allowed us to rank 1 through 10 on the images and then those who recieved a 1 placement got 10 points and those who recieved a 10 rank would get 1 point. That way with all the points added up that is how you could come out with your top 10. But I know that does not exist here. I used to run a photography site back in the old msn groups days and that is how we chose our winners for contests.

Anyhow...I am not trying to cause problems or anything by posting this. I am just thinking out loud and wondering what is to be done with this type of synario? I mean it always would be your decision anyway as the rules state you are DA MAN and what you say goes in all judgements. I think you are doing a super job and appreciate the time your putting into the challenges!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    As I mentioned the last time you brought this up, it is multiple or 1, nothing in between is available. multiple choice does give the opportunity for ties but so does everyone having only one choice. In the 24 hour vote a scenario that you describe where 3 tie giving a top 12 instead of a top 10 would just allow the second round of voting to be a possible 22 vs. 20. If anything that would make more people happy I would think. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    As I mentioned the last time you brought this up, it is multiple or 1, nothing in between is available. multiple choice does give the opportunity for ties but so does everyone having only one choice. In the 24 hour vote a scenario that you describe where 3 tie giving a top 12 instead of a top 10 would just allow the second round of voting to be a possible 22 vs. 20. If anything that would make more people happy I would think. thumb.gif
    I think that would make everyone happy! I don't remember bringing this up before but I will take your word for it. My memory isn't as good as it use to be. Alright...goodnite!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    I don't remember bringing this up before but I will take your word for it. My memory isn't as good as it use to be.

Your memory is fine it is I who was mistaken. I went back and looked to see who it was that asked for limiting the votes and it wasn't you, sorry. In fact I think this is the second time I have had you confused with another Dgrinner, maybe its like being a parent who calls everyone by their other siblings name??? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Your memory is fine it is I who was mistaken. I went back and looked to see who it was that asked for limiting the votes and it wasn't you, sorry. In fact I think this is the second time I have had you confused with another Dgrinner, maybe its like being a parent who calls everyone by their other siblings name??? ne_nau.gif

Thats ok Sean. I have been around long enough on the net to know that confusion happens and if it were true that I am repeating myself then I have legitimate reasons for playing the senile card!:crazy:giggle and I wont remember this conversation in a day or so either...
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I think I'd go crazy if I were asked to *rank* my top ten images, in addition to picking them. I think this will be an interesting judging tweak.

(I also like the idea of the photo-processing challenge, but maybe we'll revisit that one in the next tweak).
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I like that you are trying to innovate your way through your year as moderator of the challenges. You've had some great ideas. I think the public vote will be interesting.

I also think that having just 2 judges is an interesting challenge in itself. When I don't make the voting round, I always grow from it. I can't chalk it up to just not having a mainstream popular image. I have to go back and see what would have made my image technically better or more appealing to a limited set of judges. That may not help everyone, but it seems to help me. I hope that makes sense.

I'm happy with either approach. there's always something to be learned.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Milk! Love the stuff; I'm going to get a glass, toss some Tia Maria liquer in it and ponder the problem. Just Peachy2
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    I'm really struggling to come up with anything original for this theme. Maybe I'll just sit this one out. :lurk:smo :patch

:tiptoe
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to come up with anything original for this theme. Maybe I'll just sit this one out. :lurk:smo :patch

headscratch.gifagree
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2010
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »

headscratch.gifagree

Most of my jokes are too subtle. I am judging. :D
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2010
    oh HaHa...went right over my head...
    although I still don't have an idea -
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2010
    :cry {
    That's me crying "white" tears mwink.gif

Surely a simple thing like milk is not that hard? Or maybe thats the problem too simple?
    That of course was part of the plan :harry
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    oh HaHa...went right over my head...
    although I still don't have an idea -
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Hi everyone,

Please ignore those three (!!!) gallerys that shouldn't be in challenges... I'd logged in through Picasa to upload to the last challenge, and forgot to log out. I kept checking my smugmug account for the album, and it wasn't there, so I tried again! and again!

Sorry if my computer illiteracy has caused anyone confusion!

edit: Sean's hooked me up, they're gone now!! Yay!
    edited August 20, 2010
    red_zone wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Please ignore those three (!!!) gallerys that shouldn't be in challenges...

What galleries??!!!¿¿¿ mwink.gif

All cleaned up thumb.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    This challenge seems to have everyone choked up Sean. Maybe you should try something like "Whiskey" for the next challenge!!! rolleyes1.gif
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2010
    I have a feeling people would be less inclined to go splashing things into a pool of whiskey mwink.gif
    Although we may have more people willing to drink it? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2010
    The cows have rebelled and are now on strike. Entries for the milk round are now closed.

WOW no Disqualifications this round! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2010
    Congrats to all of the entrants! You gave me a real challenge in selecting my top 10 favorites. clap.gif

I'll be posting my comments to the gallery tomorrow after the poll closes.