Options

Business name

mikelane84mikelane84 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited August 19, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I scoured the internet before deciding on a name to call myself on paper, and settled on Flashbang Photography after finding only one conflict (in England). That is the label I have slapped on everything. Recently, I decided to register my own domain. I found that there is a photographer who has the website. Considering that his site states he has been shooting for over 10 years, I know he has it fair and square.

So, my question is, do I have to change it, or can I just chalk it off as one of the many times that two or more companies are called the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    You can try to peacefully coexist. But if one of you registers it as a trademark, then the other will need to stop using it.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    You can try to peacefully coexist. But if one of you registers it as a trademark, then the other will need to stop using it.

Will there be any flashing neon signs if he does? I'm not sure what that entails.
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    mikelane84 wrote: »
    Will there be any flashing neon signs if he does? I'm not sure what that entails.

No, enforcement will come in the form of a cease and desist letter. It is pretty irritating when it happens, especially when you have been using the name longer than the person sending the letter.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    ^^
    and this is what happens when it does.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 9, 2010
    I'm confused. You want the domain name but someone else has it already? So that makes it unavailable to you. What am I missing?

and who is this? I'm assuming it's the other guy but I see no profile that speaks to his years of experience.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    I'm confused. You want the domain name but someone else has it already? So that makes it unavailable to you. What am I missing?

and who is this? I'm assuming it's the other guy but I see no profile that speaks to his years of experience.

I wasn't conflicted about the domains. I was just concerned about simply coexisting. This is the guy I was referring to. I would have preferred to cut the name down like that in the URL.
  • Options
    KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    mikelane84 wrote: »
    I wasn't conflicted about the domains. I was just concerned about simply coexisting. This is the guy I was referring to. I would have preferred to cut the name down like that in the URL.

try flashbangfotos?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Ideally you should register a tradename early on. There is something called the Madrid agreement which means you can get this recognized internationally. The whole process costs you a few hundred dollars only, when you are lucky.

Using the tradename of someone else, even when they have not registered, may make you vulnerable. The law is not watertight. A previously unchallenged trading history gives you rights in any country recognizing common law eg UK.

Still, when you think your tradename will become valuable enough for someone to hire a lawyer to chase you, then you had better be registered. As Chester said, the worst scenario is to build a business leveraging an unregistered trade name and have to back off because you can't afford to defend your case in court. We all know Apple spend a lot of money to register their rights to Ithis and Ithat. Many ordinary people simply decide to run a business under their own name because an own name cannot be trademarked and they are then safe.

The other way is to buy a tradename from someone who has already registered. Like URLs, the good ones have already gone to speculators hoping to make a buck.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2010
    Ideally you should register a tradename early on. There is something called the Madrid agreement which means you can get this recognized internationally. The whole process costs you a few hundred dollars only, when you are lucky.

Using the tradename of someone else, even when they have not registered, may make you vulnerable. The law is not watertight. A previously unchallenged trading history gives you rights in any country recognizing common law eg UK.

Still, when you think your tradename will become valuable enough for someone to hire a lawyer to chase you, then you had better be registered. As Chester said, the worst scenario is to build a business leveraging an unregistered trade name and have to back off because you can't afford to defend your case in court. We all know Apple spend a lot of money to register their rights to Ithis and Ithat. Many ordinary people simply decide to run a business under their own name because an own name cannot be trademarked and they are then safe.

The other way is to buy a tradename from someone who has already registered. Like URLs, the good ones have already gone to speculators hoping to make a buck.

Thank you.