Portrait Packages

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited August 11, 2010 in People
Just a quick question, I am not sure if this is in the right place, if not please feel free to move it.

I am finally at the stage where I want to start offering packages. What do you typically offer? I am curious as to what people seem to want. Am I better off just offering to buy them by the sheet? I typically shoot babies, maternity, children. Haven't done a wedding yet and I shot one event, but I was offering just a cd with images, recently though I was asked about packages so I want to go that route now.

Also i want to include in it a low res facebook quality disc, I was thinking maybe 10 photos for $25, they would all be low res, any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advanced!!
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Why the low-res "facebook" quality disk? Seems all they could get from that would be the ability to post on the WWW or maybe get some decent quality 4x6s. Just curious. I'm not a portrait packager but that just got me wondering the reason for it.
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Why the low-res "facebook" quality disk? Seems all they could get from that would be the ability to post on the WWW or maybe get some decent quality 4x6s. Just curious. I'm not a portrait packager but that just got me wondering the reason for it.

Generally the idea is they would post them on their facebook page, they would be small in size, so quick to upload, with perhaps a small unobtrusive watermark on the bottom. The thinking is, this would be convienent for the customer and perhaps discourage family members from making prints from stuff on facebook. I have no idea if it works, or what customers think about it though.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Generally the idea is they would post them on their facebook page, they would be small in size, so quick to upload, with perhaps a small unobtrusive watermark on the bottom. The thinking is, this would be convienent for the customer and perhaps discourage family members from making prints from stuff on facebook. I have no idea if it works, or what customers think about it though.

Exactly what I was thinking. I had seen it on a friend's facebook, it was a low quality photo, that looked fine on the web, but it also had a watermark on it with the photographer's name. I feel it is a form of advertising, as long as it is done tastefully, I wouldn't watermark across the image, just a small logo in the corner. Low res as well because then other people can not print. I am looking into it and seeing what other people are thinking.

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010

Because people will pay for it (they want to put the photos on their facebook to show their friends and family) but it won't really cut into your print sales. And if you stick your logo in the corner it's free advertising of the best kind.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Why charge for the fb disc? It is free advertising that YOU control.... After every shoot I choose and post around 5 photos and tag my clients on FB. That really creates a buzz about your biz and skills among your friends and theirs.... As a general rule the next 5 - 10 postings on the client's walls are about how much people love the photos... And the clients loove it. They can even set it as their profile pic or whatever.... I have found it to be very effective.

So if they don't pay you $25 bucks, you miss out on all that fabulous word of mouth.
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Why charge for the fb disc? It is free advertising that YOU control.... After every shoot I choose and post around 5 photos and tag my clients on FB. That really creates a buzz about your biz and skills among your friends and theirs.... As a general rule the next 5 - 10 postings on the client's walls are about how much people love the photos... And the clients loove it. They can even set it as their profile pic or whatever.... I have found it to be very effective.

So if they don't pay you $25 bucks, you miss out on all that fabulous word of mouth.

I do always tag, but sometimes it doesn't let me unless I am friends with them. Do you do this from your FB fanpage or just a regular account? I've been doing it from my reg account, maybe that is why. I will try again. But you are absolutely rights, as long as I tag them, they will get seen by others. Maybe I will have to have the clients friend my fb page, I just made it like two weeks ago, so it's fairly new. Thanks for the advice!!

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I always get my clients to friend me... and then I can tag as I please. And I do it with my personal page. I don't have a biz one yet, but my clients love a peek into my life anyhow.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010

I do this, too, but I also post on my fan page. It usually prompts people to contact me about booking a session.